Help Identify This Zaskar

Re: Re:

T'boo Ted":nu4tl1hr said:
V levers don't work so well with cantis, it's all super mushy

Hmm I did not get that impression. Cantis need extra work to be set properly - angles, distance, yolk etc. With true rims, I've placed the pads to about 1mm distance and the lever closes to no more than 1cm. I actually got the opposite impression - there was no padding - it was an instant grip, tho not very effective.

zaskar ideas

must say nice looking bike...yellow Judy's with xc stickers, true gt form there if ever.... my 96 lts had same forks although different preload adjusters... if need be you could post to me at my expense and ill make a trials bike out of it...that would make a U.K friend happy and get my 1997 gt lts back to the back burner..... :D

T'boo Ted":16so05h7 said:
or...just ride the heck out of it. you said you have the avalanche that you don't like much, ride the zaskar, you may not like that much either, if not, then tidy it up and send it on. No point spending time and effort/money on it if it doesn't work for you. But if you do, then take as much time as you like.

The "poor" bike was sitting in the lady's basement for close to 15 years without seen sunlight. She bought it that long ago, rode it a few times and that's all. She's by the way the coolest bike chick - she's got over 30 bikes some dating back to late 1800s...

Either way, I'll take the whole thing apart, grease it, remove rust bolts, possibly replace the cables and then I'll decide what to do. 80mm Bomber fork sounds good, though I really like the current RS Judy. Basically, one way or the other, this bike will not sit all dehydrated, rusted and gunked up.

Ah... another thing - do you guys think it's possible to remove the decals and replaced them with new? I've perfected the decal construction and application so I can come up with pretty much anything, including the originals (seen my Marin project decals?)

yeah, decals, if you can make new ones (yourself as you say, or buy reproductions, or even buy originals, they are about), just scrub them off and apply new ones.

As to brakes/levers, v brakes an cantis have different pull ratios, have used canti levers with vs when they first came out (well shimano ones) was terrible., but have never used the other way around.

T'boo Ted":3g4u4gsv said:
As to brakes/levers, v brakes an cantis have different pull ratios, have used canti levers with vs when they first came out (well shimano ones) was terrible., but have never used the other way around.

Yes, canti levers with v brakes = super mooshy, it works but very insecure feeling.

Stripped everything to a bare frame, except the derailleur hanger. (Cups, bolts, cable router at the bottom, all gone).

I'm a little disappointed with the weight 1787 gr. Was expecting it to be just over 1600 gr.

This is a 16 inch frame too.

xG3LIna.jpg

Yea I researched it, ~1850gr is what they were. So mine is lighter! Yay

Would you say the Avalanche's frame is about the same or heavier?

T'boo Ted":fahd0npy said:
ugh you made me look at a Marin...

Why don't you like Marins?

The frame of the Indian Fire Trail is ~1600 grams. And while it's unclear if the frame was assembled in the US or not, the tubing was 100% american. The '96 Nail Trail I "made" you look at was a mid-low end and it's about 1800gr...

Maybe you're just a GT guy - me, while I love the double/triple triangle, I hate how the top tube just hangs under the seat. As if it was chopped off.

Don't get me wrong... I got bit by the Zaskar bug and now keep searching for more local adds, and I can't wait to decide what this bike would turn to.

Back