Help Identify This Zaskar

T'boo Ted":tmb6oo73 said:
Assume the brake levers are v-brake? If so just go for some XT or XTR v's of similar era to shifter/brake pods orelse you have to buy canti AND shifters AND brake levers

I'm confused. The original breaks were cantis... and if the shifters/break levers are original, why would I need new shifters/break levers?

Re:

Canties and V's use different leavers. Your V brake leavers would not be compatible with cantilevers. Since your leavers and shifters are a single unit they would all have to be changed.

Re:

Personally I think that is a great bike for a resto-mod. I would put a 700 mm carbon bar on it with Z2 bomber fork. Keep all the XT stuff and start looking for some anodized Chris king hubs and headset. Maybe an flite saddle and the fattest maxis tires that will fit. But that's my taste.

Re: Re:

Lhatch4":3mv7dvai said:
Your leavers, shifters and brakes are not original.

And you can tell for sure the levers are not v-brakes?

That may present a problem, though I've successfully mated the same shifters/levers with Avid Shorty 4 and kool stop pads for the rear. Almost as good.

Re:

Your leavers are made for V brakes and you have V brakes. If you change to cantilevers brakes you need to change to cantilever leavers.

Yeah, I'm not feeling it at this moment. Maybe I'll put the project on hold for 5-10 years...

or...just ride the heck out of it. you said you have the avalanche that you don't like much, ride the zaskar, you may not like that much either, if not, then tidy it up and send it on. No point spending time and effort/money on it if it doesn't work for you. But if you do, then take as much time as you like.

Re: Re:

Lhatch4":2wju571j said:
Personally I think that is a great bike for a resto-mod. I would put a 700 mm carbon bar on it with Z2 bomber fork. Keep all the XT stuff and start looking for some anodized Chris king hubs and headset. Maybe an flite saddle and the fattest maxis tires that will fit. But that's my taste.

That's what I did to my 98' Zaskar...
riser bars, early 2000's air forks, rear disc adapter to take disc brakes, 27.2 dropper post.
Absolute blast :D

Back