Help Identify This Zaskar

Here you go boys, 12+ hours of my life driving to get this 'thing'... not bad for a Marin lover.

Basically, what I'm interested in is finding out what's original and what's not. There seemed to be a debate about the decals. I know for sure the breaks are not, the seat clamp, the handlebars (maybe) but I'm not sure about the wheels. Bikepedia lists Mavic M230 and these are 217s:

vXr2Ps5.jpg

QkEybNu.jpg

sBtLbO3.jpg

Tk6IVSy.jpg

IP97vQ1.jpg

nzuDQtz.jpg

3vKuzOZ.jpg

dT3g7NJ.jpg

Ig9Dehl.jpg

WybHerx.jpg

3cCbwaK.jpg

Pvys53m.jpg

eLR2isd.jpg

EuAUUoU.jpg

t9OmOne.jpg

ITY0TwH.jpg

wau65ky.jpg

Re:

My 95 zaskar Le has 217's on white industries hubs. I can't tell from the picture but those look like XT hubs with 217's. My guess is that they are original.

11/94 would be a 1995 model year, so decals are correct.
You also have to remember that it could have been bought as a frame only and built up

the 1995 catalogue (from here) shows the ink blue Zaskar E *with optional Rockshox suspension fork (Judy SL's), so could well have bought a frame and fork (assuming the same option was available for the non LE (same option available for xizang, pyclone, lts and rts...)

I have to strip everything off the frame to see the exact condition of it.

The Ink Blue is anodosing right?

If I want to stick to the original color which I love, I'll have a problem as I don't know anyone in the area who'd do bike frame anodising let alone blue ink. I could strip the ano and keep it "ball burnished" but I really don't like that... on this bike.

The fork seemed good/great condition which I'll service and replace the rusty bolts. The stem and handlebar have to go - I never liked those.

In general, I have two options here - restore it to its original condition or go the "retro mod" way as I've done with 3 of my Marins. Hence the earlier link I posted here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=364318&p=2773405#p2773405

Yeah most likely that's what I'll do. Tho there's some minimal work that needs to be done - the handlebars are totally wrong. I want the cantis back too.

What would you replace?

haha, thats personal taste. i'm of the never ending upgrade,so my 96 xizang has new manitous, new brakes, new wheels/bars/set/post, newest 9sp XT/XTR...only old stuff is the seat, bar ends and frame. only as that what I would have done if I owned it fro new.
But that old 739? XT looks in really good nick, I'd use that, toss the bars for something period nice, answer hyperlights or ritchey or a GT bar. Assume the brake levers are v-brake? If so just go for some XT or XTR v's of similar era to shifter/brake pods orelse you have to buy canti AND shifters AND brake levers

Cantilevers if you must but these frames are good for thrashing

sooo....

period build if you want or something new and shiny and even disc based.

my own 1993 bike had discs by 1994!

Latest posts

Back