Panasonic MC Pro 1992

Raf KRK

Retro Newbie
Hi guys.
As I have not found a thread for the new forum members, I decided to start my own thread to present you my retro MTB, and write a few lines about the background story behind it :),

This is a come back to my biggest passion which started in 1992 or 1993, when MTB got really popular. I still remember riding my uncle's Alpinestars Cro-mega DX and reading bike catalogues every day.

My first MTB was a shitty Montana, but after some modifications I used it as a competition XC bike for 2 seasons, before it got stolen.

After this I was too broke to buy a new bike, and prepare it for an upcoming season so I "retired" as a 14 year old boy, and never raced in cross country again.

Couple of years later I bought a customized Specialized Stumpjumper, and used it just for recreational rides. It looked like a Frankenstein, as I repainted it few times and it had a complete mix of parts: Magura HS33 race line front brake, Avid rear V-brake, White industries crank, deore DX derailleurs, Deore thumb shifters, and... downhill RST fork. It's still in my garage, but it needs a lot of care and service, and it will never be worth more than a few quid :)

For the last year I've been searching for a nice Alpinestars, Rocky Mountain, Klein or some other retro 90's bike, but there was nothing around. And then suddenly THIS appeared in my local online fleamarket...

This was a chance I could not miss. So the next day I was driving my good old 1987 Peugeot 205, with the 1992 Panasonic MC Pro in the trunk.

The bike is in decent condition, drives very well, but has some parts, which need replacing. Like chainset, tires, and pedals.

I hope to get all the parts soon, to keep You guys up to date. Hope this bike will bring the good memories back, and write some new stories. I'm officialy back on track!

Attachments

• 11043211_10153104063794476_2408378615647872862_n.jpg
    11043211_10153104063794476_2408378615647872862_n.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 1,856
  • 20951881_10155618775824476_1090502121_ox2.jpg
    20951881_10155618775824476_1090502121_ox2.jpg
    265 KB · Views: 1,865
I may have something here for you!

file.php

I realy like this model, the MC Pro. Will you bring it back to original specs?

Elev12k":2lrymu4y said:
I realy like this model, the MC Pro. Will you bring it back to original specs?

Well, that's the plan, but it might be hard to get some parts, like the original rims, or the tires.

Also, I don't know what was the exact original specification, as with the Panasonic had this Individual Custom System, which allowed the customers to create thousands of configurations.

If You got the original 1992 (1993?) specs, it would surely be a guide for me.

As for now I am testing the bike to check, which parts need to be replaced in the near future. I got rid of the SPD pedals, and mounted the VP platforms (still searching for the 1992 deore XT pedals).

This week I took the bike for a night city ride. I visited some well known spots in Cracow. If You've been here, You might recognize some of them.

Thanks for the links. They've been very helpful, but still - the 1992 catalogue is missing, so I am not sure, which parts I need. Nevermind. I will do my best, to keep this bike as retro and stock as possible.

My biggest mystery so far, are the tires. I might buy the Panaracers Dart/Smoke, or some modern Michelin Wildgripper. Still have to make up my mind.

I also need to replace the grips. I guess the Ritchey WCS True Grip would be a good choice. Not heavy, and still pretty retro. The other alternative is Ritchey Pro TGV but I am not sure about the rubber.

The last thing are the brake pads. I can't find the Deore XT pads, so I will go for some aftermarket cantilever stuff. What would you recommend? Kool Stop? Or some other brands maybe?

Last weekend I had my first forest ride. Still with the slick tire on the back, but hopefully this will change soon :cool:

Attachments

• Panasonic MC Pro 1992.jpg
    Panasonic MC Pro 1992.jpg
    364.2 KB · Views: 1,413

Latest posts

Back