1997 Stumpjumper M2

slackboy

Bontrager Fan
Feedback
View
Picked up this bargaintastic Stumpy today from Heysham. I was only really interested in the frame but having looked it over its in great condition and has a nice spec too.

The frame is a lovely vibrant red and doesn't have too many marks on aside from the inevitable chainstay wear.

The stem and handlebars have been upgraded for modern ones, but I have the original stem from the seller and a spare pair of specialized bars in the garage. I've also got a set of Team Master/Team Control Tyres on.

The only downsides are SRAM X4 shifters which will need replacing, an ugly yellow FSA headset and the strongarm chainset has been upgraded to an M770 XT one (not really a downside).

Brakes are upgraded XT M750 and it has a Marzocchi Bomber MX comp fork as well.

Not sure what to do with it yet. I really don't need another large stumpjumper as I only bought a rigid one about a month ago...

ASZQFw

Re:

Spent a bit of time swapping bits from my other stumpjumper, which I'm either going to split or use as a full on commuter bike.

The other stumpy was pretty original so I've added original tyres, grips and chainset to the M2 and taken the M740 shifters and an old specialized stem and handlebar set I had in the spares box.

Just need to find a 30.9 ritchey seatpost and change the headset and it will be back to (near as dammit) catalogue spec.

eevk58

a8bejj

Re:

Bit of progress made. Sold the forks and crank for more than I paid for the bike, so I treated her to a set of exotic carbon forks.

Got rid of the yellow headset and replaced with a more subdued black which suits it better.

Looking pretty good, even if I say so myself, but I can't decide whether to use black stem and handlebar instead.

6PQLoy

Re:

Going to stick with the silver bars and stem for now. I do have a spare 135mm specialized silver stem if you are interested G60MAT?

Forgot to add some pictures of the final build. Exotic carbon forks are really good, if a bit tight getting the crown race down the steerer.

Managed to source a specialized seatpost QR and headset top cap from here to finish off the look.

Now I just need to stop looking for Bontrager's and be happy with what I have.

u8XNuP

The bike looks great and I am considering getting one myself but I am not sure if it'll fit me.
What's the size of your frame and how tall are You?

Back