New built coming up

The tubes are definitely Nuke Proof. Right now you have two options both of them tricky (there's no easy way out). First option: I was noticing how thick walled the titanium tubes are at the interface between them and the carbon tubes. If you can find a way to shave off enough material off them to fit the carbon tubes over them you could use the original Nuke Proof tubing and still have those strong enough. I'm afraid that taking a hand grinder to them will not be an option, you need to find a way to get your frame machined down in order to get a nice interface to the carbon tubes. Tricky to find a machine shop that is willing to work with Ti and deal with this parts though.
The second option: Source new tubes that fit over the Titanium sleeves (I would go full carbon in this case as there's no point in using aluminum if nobody's going to see it). Once you have the correct tubing you could add a thin layer of pull-truded carbon "sock" over them in order to get that rough carbon Nuke Proof look. A good soruce for cycling specific carbon tubes in the US are "Rock West Composites". They have a large arrays of all kinds of diameters tubes that can be cut to your desired length. All of their tubes are smooth so you will have to make the Nuke Proof rough carbon look yourself. Bear in mind that you need to add a couple of hundredths of mm to the outer diameter of your titanium interface to allow enough space for the adhesive. Ti OD + 0.7mm = ID of your carbon tubes if I remember correctly. Sometimes you can add glass micro beads to the adhesive in order to achieve an even bond-line (this is crucial for the final strength of your bonded parts).

Re:

That was indeed quite a set-back yesterday. But no ways a "give up" situation.

Thank you syncrosfan, for your information. I will sure sure look into both option.
Actually, I was also thinking of machining down the interfaces on the frame. But I have to take some measurements first,
to see if this is feasible. The other thing that I will have to consider when doing so, is the outer diameter difference on the 2 connecting tubes
(main frame and carbon tube). If the difference is minute, it might work. If it is to obvious, I might want to consider the modified full carbon tubing.

Either way, it is going to be a challenge. Let's get at her ;-)

Cheers
Jeroen

Re:

Checked the tubing diameters late last night. Taking down the interfaces on the frame will not be an option. As it would leave me with a 0.55mm wall thickness.
I could insert a smaller tube on the inside. But i'm not convinced about that (yet)!

Okay, this one will have to go on ice for a bit. The tubes are the wrong size and I have no idea on haw to cope for that.
Changing the lugs would be an option, but surely not now. Maybe Better luck some day later in time.
Anyways, there are more projects on the horizon ;-)

Cheers
Jeroen

What's the size of the frame? Center of BB to Center of Top tube? I might be interested if you want to sell the frame parts... Pending it's my size.

Latest posts

Back