New member with Aluminium Elite

Twozaskars

Retro Guru
Hi everyone, this is far from a first project for me but its the first I'm going to document on this website. Its a 1992 ( I think ) Orange Aluminium Elite, 17" with original forks. I bought it off ebay towards the end of 2016 ( I did notice it mentioned on here afterwards) but it was built with a lot of non original stuff. In fact, the only period and correct thing on it was the front suntour mech. I sold all the bits and ended up with a free frame and forks plus a few quid to spend. I intend to build it as cheap as possible by obtaining most of the bits in a similar way. The frame is totally crack free and hasn't been ridden for over a decade. I have some wheels and a few bits to get it going but will hopefully upgrade as time goes by. First job is to get the frame polished and nasty laquer removed, and obtain some lovely new stickers for it. I intend to use it mainly for dry road use when finished with some slick-ish tyres. The brakes, crank, STI's and rear mech are all Deore XT, the hubs are obviously hope but annoyingly one is a 32 spoke and one 36.

Attachments

• IMG_3011.JPG
    IMG_3011.JPG
    223.9 KB · Views: 1,814
  • IMG_3012.JPG
    IMG_3012.JPG
    151.2 KB · Views: 1,814
  • IMG_3013.JPG
    IMG_3013.JPG
    152.1 KB · Views: 1,814
  • IMG_3014.JPG
    IMG_3014.JPG
    208.6 KB · Views: 1,814
  • IMG_3015.JPG
    IMG_3015.JPG
    223.9 KB · Views: 1,814
  • IMG_3016.JPG
    IMG_3016.JPG
    215.4 KB · Views: 1,814
  • IMG_3017.JPG
    IMG_3017.JPG
    188.2 KB · Views: 1,814
Great project... look forward to your progress. Nice and light, polish up well.. The only issue is sourcing out 1 1/4 stuff, but it does come up for sale on here fairly frequently.

Re:

:xmas-big-grin: Stickers ordered! :xmas-big-grin:

Now that's done I can make a start on getting this manky laquer off.

Re:

Welcome to the site :cool: I always liked the Elites over the Aluminium 'O', but have never owned one...

It should be a nice project to kick off with - be warned though, others will inevitably follow :facepalm:

Full M73* XT will be spot on IMO and wheels look good by the way, looking at them I'm guessing the 36 hole is on the rear, which isn't actually a bad thing if you intend to ride it regularly (it's good to have a bit more stiffness there, so to say!)

I'll look forward to seeing this one develop :)

Re:

A good start there. You've got the Ali forks too..... my 'skip save' Elite started off in much the same way - Think mine weighed in at about 23lbs all done. Looking forward to seeing progress.

There's a link to the 'elite owners' here-
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=186867&start=40

There's also links in that thread to sizes of Headset/ bottom bracket / seat post / front mech etc...

cheers.
boy"O"boy

Re:

Thanks fella's. It is definitely going to be one of many. Me and my youngest son just built another Zaskar over a couple of evenings this week, always had a thing for GT's and is my second Zaskar to keep. also had an xcr3000, xcr2000, pantera, outpost, avalanche 0.0, karakoram but never kept any of them for long. Its safe to say I have a thing for GT's. I may post some pics in the appropriate thread.

B o B - thanks for the link, I've read about your £30 one three or four times already over the last few months, excellent work. I love a bargain and its always nice to see somebody rescue something when its owner is about to throw it out.

Back