1991 GT Karakoram project XT/DX/Onza/Ritchey rebuild

Re: Karakoram

Hi guys. Recently I bought a GT Karakoram, 1990s frame and stem. I noticed the stem is (quill ) is different from the ones I saw you guys having. My brake cable goes thru the quill from the top, whereas the ones here goes in from the front ( with a tube kinda attachment ). Different year of mfg, different quill design? Help to identify appreciated.

Attachments

• small GT stem.jpg
    small GT stem.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 528
Re: Karakoram

12inchtoys":a3tcazrg said:
Hi guys. Recently I bought a GT Karakoram, 1990s frame and stem. I noticed the stem is (quill ) is different from the ones I saw you guys having. My brake cable goes thru the quill from the top, whereas the ones here goes in from the front ( with a tube kinda attachment ). Different year of mfg, different quill design? Help to identify appreciated.

Yours will be a 16" frame, smaller frame = shorter stem, guess there wasnt enough room to get all of an internal noodle in.

Re:

Update, long overdue ... finally happy with it

New wheels - NOS XT M730/732 hubs with NOS Ritchey Vantage Expert Rims, built up by local bike shop.
Syncros seatpost in the correct size (26.4mm)
NOS front & rear derailleurs - the old ones looked shiny but didn't work very well
NOS 46t Shimano SG chainring and new HG70 chain with quick link
Replacement top tube decals from Gil M (thanks!)

Just in time for winter :D

Attachments

• DSC_0053 resize.jpg
    DSC_0053 resize.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 258
Back