Tales from the parts bin - Diamond Back Topanga Drop bar

legrandefromage

Bin Monkey
BoTM Winner
PoTM Winner
GT Fan
Feedback
View
So, I'm bored. Run out of projects and budget so look around the shed and garage to see what is available

And here you go, a Topanga on drops and slicks.

Bitsa build, even the shifters are different! It all works swimmingly though and the ride is pleasant as these frames were used throughout the range and feature full double butted tubing and Tange forks.

Was hoping to use a matching LX front mech but cant find the roller for me adapter.

Am waiting for tape

Total costs, ooh, about £17 all in inc that rather nice alloy headset. Cant remember where the stem came from - quill stem with oversized bars eh? Who'd a thunk it.

Attachments

• parts bin special too.jpg
    parts bin special too.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 878
  • parts bin special.jpg
    parts bin special.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 878
  • king size.jpg
    king size.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 873
Wish I had a parts bin like yours. :p The bike looks totally awesome!
Btw sorry for asking this here, but how does one come across bar end shifters that don't cost a fortune? There's literally 0 being sold at the local ads, and I check them very often (I'm living in Hungary). I'd use it with a 7 speed Shimano system, could be SIS or friction as well.

Buy the mounting hardware - the bits that attach to the bars. Then fit down tube shifters. I think I have some left but the flat washers are missing and are hard to find on their own. By washers I mean the parts that fit between frame and shifter or mount and shifter.

Jagwire barcon kits used to be cheap but even they are around £45

Jagwire Barcon mounts with my 600 downtube levers

file.php

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/gobike88-Jagw ... SwFAZTv3iv

Washer.right.500.jpg

barendshifter44.jpg

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
microshift do a 9 speed set for about £50. There is apparently an 8s version too.

Thank you for the suggestions guys, I really do appreciate it! Sorry for derailing your thread. :p

Back