90's Raleigh Amazon

Re: Re:

redzero":3541pfnw said:
I still have the original stem on mine and considered spraying it.

I cleaned it up to get al the paint off and liked the way it looked in bare metal.

So, it stayed that way and I give it a wipe over with some ACF50 on a rag every few months. :)

What you've done looks great! Though I have swapped as I got a much lighter stem (one that is on now)

UPDATE!
Bike is now 8 Speed! Now to make the ratio a little bit better I'm after bigger chain rings - obviously I can't change them on this chain set but on the look out for another. I'ts hilarious how quickly the project changes!! I also got a better saddle now.

8 Speed by CezarsBikes, on Flickr

Fun picture, this is how my bike started! As you can tell It improved quite a bit, though the paintwork on this frame is much nicer.
Version 1 by CezarsBikes, on Flickr

Update number 23523 :LOL: :LOL:

New bits:
-Marin Lite stem (it's around 15mm shorter and has a little bit of a rise - more comfy)
-X-lite Stubby bar ends (so good! Best £3 spent ever)
-T Crank bolts - (prettier tan plastic caps :LOL: )
-Kalin aluminium seat post (finally found a correct size seat post that is shinny and much lighter)
-SelleRoyal seat (much better than previous, comfier and looks sleeker)
-Kenda 26x1.50 slick at the back

The list of WANTS:
Shimano chainset, I wanna try out Biopace to see what the whole gossip is about. I have a 38T ring waiting.
Shimano V brakes
Another slick for the front
and this list goes on forever, perhaps a better frame/fork will do haha

Marin Lite pink stem by CezarsBikes, on Flickr
X-lite stubby bar ends by CezarsBikes, on Flickr
New crank bolts by CezarsBikes, on Flickr
Seatpost improvement by CezarsBikes, on Flickr
(slight upgrade haha)
seatpost fitted by CezarsBikes, on Flickr

Re:

CezarB Your Amazon gets better every time I see it. It fair warms my heart. :)

I haven't been riding too much this year. I've had a frozen shoulder for over a year but it's never given me that much trouble until recently.

Since I got over a bout of New-Year bloke flu it's been almost impossible for me to ride much at all without severe pain in my shoulder and left arm.

I decided that although I've loved the riding position on my Amazon for a few years it wasn't helping. I couldn't ride it more than 100 metres without excruciating pain in my arm and shoulder.

I nicked the seat for the lad's Univega which at least completed that little project. He now as a usable, properly fettled bicycle.

Yesterday I fitted my recent ebay purchases and stuff I had kept from previous projects.

1. A Zoom stem converter. Whilst this doesn't convert totally to an aheadset system from a quill stem set up it does at least allow fitment of aheadset compatible stems, of which there are many variations.

2. An Alloy stem. I kept this stem after using it briefly on my Saracen, when I commuted on it.

3. A very light (it feels almost weightless) straight bar. This came on the same garden-find Marin I cannibalised for the wheels, brake levers and the front V brake on the ABSO1. It is anodised dark green so weirdly it even fits the "tasteful" colour scheme.

4. A pair of lock-on grips. Yeah I prefer old-school bar tape but it looks and feels plain weird on straight bars.

5. A Charge Spoon saddle. If I had the spare cash I'd have a single speed Charge Plug as a road bike. I don't, so I'll settle for the seat used on a Plug for now.

I took it out for a little over a hour this morning, which is significant progress. I'd love to say that it was a pain-free journey but I'd be lying. However I did manage around 40 minutes before I decided that heading back was the best option.

I hate the riding position at the moment, but more to the point it doesn't hate me as much as the previous one. My shoulder hurts now, but it's progress at least. The saddle, by contrast, is great so far.

I think I am being forced to spray my fork black!! That looks great, so tidy looking. I prefer the straight bars look on yours too.

Arrrgg this is still going!
Raleigh Amazon 02-15 by CezarsBikes, on Flickr
Current head unit; Marin Lite stem, Answer Taperlite2, Deore thumbies, Shimano STX RC levers, tioga soft grips and X-lite stubbies.

I can't believe I didn't put the thumb shifters on earlier, SO GOOD. Running it on friction on an 8 speed cassette.

Shimano STX RC V-brake with kool stop pads at the back. Kenda slick

Shimano STX RC front V with one deore XT pad and other shimano, same shape but no deore xt logo, the metal rod seems different/lesser material. Such a great brake update, made the bike feel so much better. Shwalbe Cityjet slick.

Looks the business I think, runs it too! With Deore LX pedals, Deore front mech and Selle San Marco saddle also added since the last update here.

I noticed the rear mech has got quite a wobble going on, will be looking for a replacement - Deore of some kind. Also, need to get rid of that crankset.

Liking those brakes. I should fit a Shimano STX RC or Deore on the rear of mine. What are the pads you are using?

Re:

Mine is still around and in use.

I picked up an unloved Diamondback for mild off roading so the Amazon is in use as a single speed urban bike.

Bullhorn bars, and Schwalbe city jet tyres have been added since the last time I posted. the cables are a bit long as I keep experimenting with North Road bars.

It's still a great ride. :)

35275022163_201ef24ffb_b.jpg

Back