Baby's come home!!!!! - 1994 Kona Kilauea

Re: Baby's come home!!!!! (1994 Kona Kilauea) UPDATES

Well after riding with the Z2 forks on I decided I didn't really like them. Too much weight for too little benefit, especially compared to the modern forks I am used to.

So it's back to the P2's.

This is combined with my recent ever first tour! 3 days riding from Bristol to Farnborough along the Kennet and Avon canal. I was going to use my road bike but I am glad I took the Kilauea. All I did was swap the stem for a NOS high rise T-bone, put some 1.5" semi slicks on and some bar ends and mudguards and a rack. Rode amazingly well, didn't want the tour to end!!

Still looking lovely - is there anything these Kona's can't do very very well?

Halfway through conversion:

Quick snap in Newbury....

Re: Baby's come home!!!!! (1994 Kona Kilauea) UPDATES

MiniNinjaRob":2bv35gun said:
Still looking lovely - is there anything these Kona's can't do very very well?

Well I find mine are really crap at making tea. My Kila has over the years been in the following configurations all bar one seems to work just fine...

Flat bars with Z3's and knobblies :D
Drop bars with Z3's and skinny slicks :shock:
Drop bars with P2's and skinny slicks :D
Drop bars with P2's and knobblies :D
Flat bars with P2's and skinny slicks :D
Flat bars with P2's and knobblies :D
And finally back to Flat bars with Z3's and knobblies :D

Re: Baby's come home!!!!! (1994 Kona Kilauea) - July 2014 Tour

I would like to buy another 1994 Kilauea in a 17" or 16" size but they don't come up up very often and people always want millions for them.

Re:

Just to let everyone know, I've been away from the RB scene for a while as I hurt both my Achilles on a tour and haven't ridden much since (3 years) and along with a huge house renovation I've had my hands full!! I was even living at a friends house for 18 months with no access to bikes!

The Kilauea is in a padded bike bag, like a sleeping beauty, and will return soon......

Evening Rob :)

welcome back !!!!
just bought another 94' Killy in 18'
that will make a sweet brother for my tiny one :):):)

cheers

Re:

My Kona has been safely packed away in a bike bag for a couple of years. I haven’t ridden any bikes for a couple of years due to problems with my ankles but I’m ok now. Bit overweight so losing some flab and recommissioning the Kilauea to get out cycling again.
Out of the bike bag I realised the cables were sticky and a bit rusty in places (probably packed away slightly damp?) so I’m replacing with black cables. I’ve cleaned up the seatpost and checked all around the bike. Going to put a new shiny chain on top and it’ll be ready to go!!
Pics up soon.

Back