Specialized Stumpjumper

slackboy

Bontrager Fan
Feedback
View
Today I nearly bought two specialized's.

There had been what looked like a nice 1995 S-works on ebay for a while. It needed a bit of work (removing v-brakes, modern ahead stem, forks etc) so I made a cheeky offer which was accepted.

But before I committed someone came along a paid the full asking price. :roll: Probably a lucky escape as I don't really have the budget or the parts to do it justice.

The second one was more successful. a rigid 1997/98 stumpjumper local to me offered on this forum by Bowser. I popped over this afternoon, agreed a price and now its on the stand awaiting fettling.

Its almost completely standard, so there isn't much to change. The chainset bolts and brake bolts/cables are a bit corroded as are the avid SD-1 levers. The front shifter has been replaced with modern lower spec one.

I'll replace the shifters and levers with XT M739/M740 ones that I have in the spares box, clean up the rust and maybe put some specialized nimbus tyres on so I can use it for commuting/shopping.

I had planned to stick a pannier rack on but didn't notice until I got home that it has lovely ritchey forged & cowled drop outs and they don't have pannier mounts. :roll:

No pictures yet but here is one from the advert:

file.php

Re:

Stripped it all down this afternoon. The frame is in nice condition, albeit with a ding in the top tube. That doesn't bother me as I'm going to use it a "going to the shops" bike because I really don't want to leave any of my other bikes lying around unattended.

My preferred colour for Stumpjumpers is red so long term I may get it resprayed and have the dent seen to. Or not.

All the parts have been stripped down, degreased and cleaned with the exception of a recalcitrant bottom bracket. Unfortunately the BB is shot so it needs replacing, I think I'll let the bike shop sort that as its not moving with my tools, even with a two foot long breaker bar on it.

Various bolts were corroded particularly the chainring bolts, so they are soaking in vinegar to see if that gets the rust off. All suggestions welcome!

The Avid levers have a lot of corrosion on them so they've been ditched in favour of XT, as have the mismatched gear shifters.

Wheels and hubs look to be in good condition, just need to find an XT rear skewer to replace the hope one.

ApQLo4

Some pictures of the frame. The paint is lovely metallic bronze colour, its still vibrant but looks to have faded a bit from the original. Must have been impressive new.

Se2oep

mE9rni

cc8isJ

Re:

The vinegar seems to have done the trick and the chainset bolts have cleaned up nicely.

ffczCQ

I bought some "shock and unlock" spray from halfords yesterday and that did the trick on the bottom bracket which saves me the labour cost of taking it to the bike shop.

D1XBd3

Brilliant stuff, the non drive side was really rusted tight but this cut through it. Recommended.

Bottom bracket was the original specialized one and was in pretty poor condition. a new UN55 is on order from chain reaction for the princely sum of £15.

Lovely bike and nice purchase, deliberated over it myself. Please, please, don't strip that lovely gold paint job.

Re:

Finished the stumpy off this afternoon. It was it pretty good condition to begin with but after a t-cut and wax the paintwork is sparkling. Looking good now.

7C55XR

YExd5n

euK8SA

Final changes, fitted the commuting tyres. Specialized Nimbus were £9.99 each from rutland cycling - nice bargain.

Just looking for a slightly shorter stem and a replacement seatpost binder now.

pQVLsP

x1CFQh

Its got a couple of uses - a local shopping bike and for commuting into Manchester if my new job doesn't have secure bike parking. Manchester commute is about 20 miles each way but I'd only do it once or twice a week.

Back