Little french fancy

MarinMartin

Marin Fan
So Ive done something stupid :LOL:

With the kona gone to a new home and the specialized in bits I was seriously lacking in the retro department. So as a reward for passing my driving test I bought the first retro that came up in my size. Unfortunately for me it was a peugeot 'rock-it' (love that name) which can only be described as scaffolding poles. Complete with an amazing 100gs running gear.

But honestly I do know what Im doing. A few Years ago when I started riding again I was unemployed and broke so all I could afford was budget £20 bikes and the bike I started riding on was an old rigid which I was told was a peugeot so this is is a bit of a trip down memory lane.

The bike itself is in stunning condition for the age as its been owned from new by the guy I bought it off and he only used it to cycle around campsites in the south of france. They recently moved back to the uk and brought the bikes with them. Will be uloading pics later today. Probably be using it for the local trails, river paths etc.

I knew you'd had too much sun at Mayhem........

seriously congrats on passing your driving test

Re:

To be fair I probably won't keep it that long. Just trying to take a bit of strain off the Giant as I may have gone a bit too hard on it a few days ago and it needs a little 'recuperation' :LOL: before TwentyFour Twelve next month. As soon as the spesh is up and running I'll probably let it go to the next poor bugger but for now I just wanted something to use down the flat trails. Just like the good old times. I actually owned an Apollo attack 3000 at one point. Believe me the Peugeot is a serious upgrade from that.

Nice one Martin congrats on passing your test as for your choice of retro well ok its retro :LOL: have fun riding it BTW went to Eden project missus wasn't to impressed :LOL: to be fair its getting a bit dated now :roll:

Re:

Yeah it's a lot better in the summer when all the main features are there (journey into space this year) but out of season it can be a bit dull. At least I get to see concerts for free ;)

As for the bike. Watch this space. If all goes to plan then maybe I might have a nice little retro in my possession within the next month (not the peugeot :LOL: )

Re:

Well here she is in all her *ahem* glory

Ignore the seat, that's the first thing that's going to make way for a less 'OAP' style saddle. The sad thing is every time I look at it I actually like it.... (think I need to go to retrobike rehab)

Not sure if the 100 refers to the groupset or the weight :LOL: but I have a plan. Every September I do a 20 mile charity ride (I say ride, it's more of a pub crawl) and think she'll be perfect for that duty.

Re:

Well, as you say, it's in great condition. And you know, that seat might not be all that bad for 20 leisurely miles.
I kind of like the old Peugeots. I can't think of one that was "high end", but that's not always the point is it ;)

Re:

If you look in the background of the pic you'll see my marin. I bought that 4 years ago for £100 (took me 8 months to save up for) and until last year that was the highest spec bike I'd ever owned.

One of my favourite bikes that I owned was an old Giant stonebreaker which cost me a fiver. It was pretty much the same spec as this peugeot but I have yet to find a bike that I can have as much fun on as that.

I had an old 18 speed Raleigh Mantis which I used as a road bike. Lost track of the mileage I did on that over 18 months yet a high spec modern Saracen I had was gone within a month because I hated it. Sometimes bikes are about character rather than spec. Will be doing a 16 mile test run on Saturday hopefully.

As for the seat, those 'comfort' ones aren't as nice as you might think. Got my Bontrager one that I've transferred through most of my bikes so the rock'it will be wearing that for a while before it goes onto the FSR.

Back