Holiday Rescue No 2 - 1993 Kona Lava Dome

Minifreak

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
With a 1988 Marin Palisades in the bag yesterday, I returned to On Your Bike in Taunton, Somerset for another rummage, the staff know what I like and didn't even remember this was there!

By the way there is still a rather nice and almost 100% original Muddy Fox Courier Comp in flourescent green at their main store, a Marin Wolf Ridge full sus frame with air shock and lovely steel early Saracen Killi Flyer frame in light blue at their Railway station shop ;)

So a bit of hunting produced this, a 1993 Kona Lava Dome. Need a lot of cleaning, chainrings and puller thread are toast but they included a nice LX set, rear mech plates are twisted but again they let me have an LX equivalent and a really nice Shimano chain.

I'll be removing the barends and using ODI Attack grips, Flite Ti saddle and Blackwall Panaracer Smoke/Dart tyres. Should be a fantastic bike :)

Re:

I've popped in there quite a few times. I may have even picked up those cranks the last time i visited as they look familiar. Good place and friendly staff.

Re: Re:

mattbrown":i4abzonm said:
I've popped in there quite a few times. I may have even picked up those cranks the last time i visited as they look familiar. Good place and friendly staff.

They are a great bunch of people, love mooching around and seeing what they are working on and what's for sale :)

Re: Re:

RockiMtn":12gywwuu said:
nice save!

I'm looking forward to getting cracking, lots of bits on the way including a decal set ordered from Gil.

The front and rear mechs will be black LX as will the canti's as I managed to get a full set for less than a good set of new pads alone!
These bits should compliment the frame nicely I hope. I'll hang on to the original parts though.

Alas I'm on holiday until mid next week so I will update once I start the strip down :)

Fully stripped today and its going to need a lot of love but I can see this coming together to be a real trail weapon :)

Driveside crank arm had to die but the saw and then ball joint splitter did the job, hit work sawing today!

Decal kit arrived courtesy of Gil and some nice black LX bits to take it up a spec a bit.

Frame cleaned, needs a good polish once I've removed the old decals and reared a bit of surface rust, then new decals :)

The wheels came up nice and now have new tyres and cassette.

She's coming along nicely :)

Sorry about the one rubbish pic, would have liked to have added some in the sun but it's pissing down here!

Back