Adding drop bars to my Univega MTB problems ?

widowmaker

Gold Trader
Roberts Fan
Feedback
View
I was planning of getting a rough roadbike project for the winter for when the Chas Roberts is all tucked up in the warm, but stumbled upon the Univega I have been hanging onto which got me thinking.

Fitting drop bars would be simple in itself its just the gearing/braking that I am a little confused about. So my questions to those in the knowledge are..............

I am pretty sure I can change the rear cassette for an 8 speed to replace the 7 speed, am I able for fit 8 speed sti levers/shifters ? And are these compatible with V brakes as I would like to keep the V brakes. Or is it too much work hassle.

This is pretty much as it is now, apart from an XT front and rear mech and an LX crankset.

2uib3tf.jpg

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
And a more pulled back/shorter stem as your brakes will be much further forward. In normal use not much of an issue but if you plan to need them downhill.....

The History Man":5snodq3q said:
And a more pulled back/shorter stem as your brakes will be much further forward. In normal use not much of an issue but if you plan to need them downhill.....

Ta.

Maybe I should just buy a ready built bike. I am not known for the speed I complete bikes :oops:

The History Man":f89ftjau said:
a 29er on fat slicks?...............

Now there's an idea ;)

June has been an expensive month otherwise I would have been in touch :cry:

July's payday includes my bonus :cool:

Back