Rescue Pioneer

Re:

Gear cables run either side of the down tube and under the BB. Rear brake cable runs straight down the centre of the top tube and has a U shaped bridge between the seat stays. There is also a road type brake bridge in the same location, for mudguard mounting I would have thought.

It came to me with sort of V brake type canti's on the front and more conventional canti's on the back. I'd like to go with modern CX type canti's, as I have used them on other bikes and the work brilliantly.

Now, stylee type question, bars and stem... black or silver?

Re:

A quick mock up.

Original seatpost with original Viscount saddle. Control Tech stem with Ritchey Force Lite bars. Shimano DX hubs with Mavic 231 (I think) rims and Charge Splashback tyres.

Found a bottom pull XT mech to suit and also found the rear mech was a 739, but I have a 737 in stock.

I also have some silver X-Lite stubbie bar ends and a choice of a few cranks, I think I may have some 7 speed Sach Wavey shifters here somewhere, I certainly have some 8 speeds.... not that I am sure an 8 speed cassette would fit the DX hubs.

Lots of tinkering to do.

DSC_0053_zpsxtw2dmrg.jpg

DSC_0054_zpsmxg4mu7a.jpg

Re:

This one is coming along nicely Neil!

I think the stem/bar colour suit, along with the tyres. Although not a fan of them.

Mike

Lose the splash backs and forget the bar ends. Needs a silver stem to keep it all looking light and lithe. Less is more on this one.

Re:

The Splashbacks will be going, they were on the wheels when I pulled them out of the box. They do look nice but this is going to be a practical bike and my experience is that they are an OK tyre, but nothing special. Fire XC Pro's are my favourite all rounder.

Everything else is in flux, silver / black, I have a few of each, same with the bars. As for bar ends, I like them for climbing although they may be a little late for this model, again I can try it with and without and see which I prefer.

It may be wearing shiny paint by the time it's done, but a show bike it ain't.

Re:

I like bar ends, but I also like top tubes and my builds normally mean no bar ends as a result.

I think the black stem suits it just fine. But each to their own. As you may know, I also like Fire XC Pro tyres. If only they did amberwalls!

Re: Re:

Mike Muz 67":ccwsmdny said:
I also like Fire XC Pro tyres. If only they did amberwalls!

A bit of emulsion paint, a 2" brush and a steady hand. Sorted.

Ahhhh yes, the old bar end meets top tube scenario... my DOGS bears the scars.

Still, s'only paint.

Latest posts

Back