Rescue Pioneer

Re:

Yes it's a M737, fingers crossed I have a matching bottom pull front mech, I think I have.

Re:

Progress made with just the seat post to go, and I have managed to get that to move a little bit, so an overnight soak with PlusGas will do it no harm.

Frame number is 9074. Does that date it to 1990, or are the numbers more random than that?

Re: Re:

NeilM":26emnug6 said:
Progress made with just the seat post to go, and I have managed to get that to move a little bit, so an overnight soak with PlusGas will do it no harm.

Frame number is 9074. Does that date it to 1990, or are the numbers more random than that?

Looking forward to seeing this one come together :)

I believe Overbury's frame numbers are pretty random. There doesn't seem to be any chronology involved.... from what I've seen, anyway.

The Columbus sticker dates it from around the very early 1990's. Look at the angle of the rear lower stays - if they are fairly horizontal or even slightly upward sloping, thats a later Pioneer. Very upward sloping is for the earlier frames.

They are designed for the slow technical ride over difficult terrain, something a modern bike would waft over before needing yet another service or bearing or something else needy.

The higher than 'normal' bb will mean that you need to put the seatpost higher than you'd expect for it to be comfortable.

Re:

I'll have a look at the stay angles tomorrow, I'll also clean up the BB and see if that gives any clues, I think it and the M737 rear mech are quite possibly original.

It's a little odd in that a lot of the components have been changed, including at least one of the wheels and the front brakes, but the bike actually doesn't look like it has had a lot of use. The paint is knackered but that is more to do with being stored in the damp, possibly near the coast, rather than being beaten up through use. Perhaps it was once much loved and then later robbed for bits... who knows.

I'm still not certain what kind of build I will do yet, practical that is for sure as this could easily end up being a mile eater to use when I want something different to the DOGS BOLX. Very different bikes I know, but a bike that will just go where you point it with the minimum of drama is a fine thing as far as I am concerned.

Re:

Rust encrusted Kalloy seatpost now removed.

I'll get a couple of pictures tomorrow but I'd say early 90's from the chain stay angles.

Re:

Obviously always exceptions but I think they were u braked until 91, cantis after that

Also location of cable stops, head tube or down tube

Back