Timewarp 1991 Kona Hahanna - finished 1/7

mynchiboy

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Having been left alone this weekend by the OH (girly holidays) I ended up buying another pesky bike again.. Although hardly top of the range, it does mean that I have now have the proud(ish) record of having owned an example of every steel Kona ever made, from Hahanna to Hot :)

This was for sale locally to me and I couldn't resist the pinkness!. I was planning to use as a parts donor, but the thing was a one owner bike as it turned out, with such little use it seemed a shame to go down that route. Even the Avocet saddle is still there and intact!

I've a stack of Deore LX and DX parts that were to be sold on, but I'm now planning to throw all of that on as a little upgrade and make a nice little pub stallion.

Below is the bike when collected, including a snazzy Zéfal pump and U-lock with no key that was kindly included..

Attachments

• Hahahahahahannah.jpg
    Hahahahahahannah.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 1,489
Re:

Wow, that looks as though it may have been ridden home from the shop in 1990 and not touched since.

Re:

So It was't finished on Monday, but a little progress has been made.

I set to work washing and polishing the frame and the results were great, the paint really does pop on this now! Wheels are now switched to some better Araya rims on DX hubs and the chainset is in place. Annoyingly the front mech I was planning to use wasn't the correct clamp size, so I'm now on the lookout for one.

I also had the same issue with the seatpost - I found a better quality ITM post in the spares box and it slipped right down as it was 25.4, instead of 26.4 as I thought. It does act as a good saddle holder whilst the correct size arrives in the post :)

Attachments

• hahanna 2.jpg
    hahanna 2.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 1,359
Re:

More progress today :D

The seatpost issue has been sorted with a new replacement - a 'proper' micro adjust rather than the horrible separate clamp job it came with. I've also added a new HG-41 cassette for reliability's sake and dressed up the pedals with some Tioga clips from the parts bin, with new straps. There's even a bit of NOS on board in the shape of the front mech. It's starting to look more complete again..

Next step is to refit the controls with some DX levers (sourced from here) and some matching thumb shifters, cobbled together from two sets I had lying around. The only casualty from the OEM parts that I wanted to keep were the Kona hex grips which turned to powder once removed, so I'm planning to fit a set of ODI's that should work nicely!

Attachments

• hahanna 6.jpg
    hahanna 6.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 1,243
  • hahanna 5.jpg
    hahanna 5.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 1,240
  • hahanna 4.jpg
    hahanna 4.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 1,243
  • hahanna 3.jpg
    hahanna 3.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 1,244
Re: Timewarp 1991 Kona Hahanna

The paint looks amazing, set of nicely by those tidy components. Great project so far :)

Re:

Minifreak":2reuviti said:
The paint looks amazing, set of nicely by those tidy components. Great project so far :)

Thank you very much, this is turning out better than expected! I also can't get over how nice the paint condition is :cool:

Controls were fitted earlier and the stem was also regreased and popped back in at the same time - just as well as all the original grease had dried out. I've set stem height at it's lowest now which looks a bit nicer IMO.

Almost there but It's time to call it a day - I'll look to crack on tomorrow. Who knows, I might even finish it..

Attachments

• hahanna 8.jpg
    hahanna 8.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 1,207
  • hahanna 7.jpg
    hahanna 7.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 1,207
Re:

minor_LEGEND":2b36nqav said:
Cool.
It only needed one word.

Thanks again - glad you like it :D

Still plodding on, a couple of things sidetracked me this week so still not quite there yet..

Had this Deore LX mech at hand so took it apart for cleaning..

Attachments

• hahanna 9.jpg
    hahanna 9.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 1,061
Back