1991 Diamond Back Axis - long term wishlist.

I haven't paid this much attention of late, but alas with Mayhem not far away I have been trying to crack-on with this. The old girl has been throwing up headaches left, right & centre.
I consider myself a rather shit-hot bike mechanic (ex-professional) but nothing has been straight forward. I guess having high standards & being frivolous with buying duplicate parts is the problem with my slow progress.

Couple pics:

I had hoped with the new headset & lower stack height I could use a steerer type fr brake hanger, but there still wasn't enough thread. I was hoping to use a nice alloy stem I picked up cheap but doesn't have a noodle or cable guide & didnt want an unsightly crown-mounted hanger either. So I'm using a clamp-on jobbie that seems quite bulky for my liking. Eyes peeled for an A-tac w/noodle maybe.

Something else causing woes is the springs in the XT cantis I purchased. I'm convinced they aren't genuine shimano, the rears barely have enough tension to return the cable. So I'm probably going to have to buy another set of brakes just for the springs.....Grrrr!

I am chuffed with it's appearance though, switching on the garage light makes me smile.

Re:

Looking good chap.

I have a T Bone sitting here in its original box with no home to go to.

Has a funky internel brake cable guide so no need for a hanger.

..........I could bring it to Mayhem?? ;)

T-bones are heavy though. Or rather this stem is a lot lighter.
I think I'm going to chuck some other canti's on I have for the time being. Ones that will set up reliably for the race (lap) & see where I can find some springs without rushing.

Re:

Looks well does that Craig, amusing to see that this bike has gone from being local to me (as I ride with Chris) to the other end of the country, to a lad I already know through a completely unrelated forum and scene lol!
Hope you sort the minor niggles soon dude!

minor_LEGEND":1clpnuin said:
T-bones are heavy though. Or rather this stem is a lot lighter.
I think I'm going to chuck some other canti's on I have for the time being. Ones that will set up reliably for the race (lap) & see where I can find some springs without rushing.

I'll bring the T Bone to Mayhem. If it's of use then great, if not - no biggy.

It's not like it owes me anything ;) ;)

I might be able to put together a set of cantilever springs too. I'll have a root through my 'random stuff' box. :D

If you have some springs for the canti's that would be mega. I've done some asking, according to LGF each pair will have odd springs from side to side, so I figured mine might be paired up wrong, but upon removal all 4 are identical & as mentioned previously are of a thin gauge of wire to what I'm used to seeing. someone along the line has had the brakes along with some others & mixed the springs up or rather attempted to re-group them albeit incorrectly.

Well this one is a year gone. I moved it on as it didn't ride as well as I'd hoped it would, just a bit weighty really. It served it's purpose as a Mayhem steed & I'm glad I had it for the time I did, fond memories piloting it around the course at Mayhem esp in the dark.

Back