AMP Research B4

Love what you've done with it. ;)

Only thing is maybe grey tyres, but then again, those white's shouldn't stay that way for long! :LOL:

Good work!

Thanks for the comments guys. For those that need decals gil_m on here can sort you out.

Gearing just needs tinkering with for the outer ring, got to push hard to engage but once on shifts fine with no cage rubbing. I'll have to get it on my stand and play around with it, combination of H and L screw and cable tension, will sort it though (I hope !!)

What I would say about this bike is that for a full suspension it's pretty light. I wouldn't like to push it too hard though as I'm pretty sure it would be very easy to break, especially down some of the more modern tracks at trail centres.

I built it with the intention of leisurely rides in Pembrokeshire, basically to the beach and back. So if you see one of these down in Tenby or Saundersfoot / Wisemans Bridge just shout Gadro !! You might even see me carrying it down the steps to Barafundle Bay :cool:

Gadro":d9ztzpfs said:
Gearing just needs tinkering with for the outer ring, got to push hard to engage but once on shifts fine with no cage rubbing. I'll have to get it on my stand and play around with it, combination of H and L screw and cable tension, will sort it though (I hope !!)

Make sure you haven't connected the cable to the derailleur anchor in the wrong direction.

Regards, Michael.

mtbvfr":iasc65sw said:
Gadro":iasc65sw said:

Make sure you haven't connected the cable to the derailleur anchor in the wrong direction.

Regards, Michael.

There is something weird with xtr and amp's, I'd really like to know if you got it sorted Gadro, I'm running the same spec but with an xtr crank on a slightly newer AMP4 and its never been just perfect.

That's a lovely job restoring that Amp. I bought mine new back in '97 or '98 -- it has a straight seat tube and I'm not sure if it's a B3 or B4. But I do love it and continue to ride it nearly every day.

Gadro, I sold this to Benandemu (although I know him as just Ben) he bought it for £300 at the time of purchase it had a bunch of nice kit. I'd fitted it with what I remember to be second generation XTR, this was the first group to have the grey r/mech and hollow cranks. I had the grey XTR r/Vbrakes too. The front brake was an early Hope Hydraulic disk. Rear hub was an old White Industries thing that looked a bit like a Sturmey Archer rear hub, it had a tiny dint on the casing. Stem was some fancy X-lite bare silver anodised that looked like a swiss cheese.

That frame actually had a replacement chainstay and a replacement seat stay. I broke the chainstay with my own stupidity. I fitted a chain that was about two or three links too short, when I accidentally changed into 48-28 the chain forced the stays so much they actually bent. I can't remember what happened to the seat stay I think there was a fault with the brake studs.

Anyway as you noted the frame arrived in good order, I raced it only about twice, it was never crashed at least not seriously (don't we all crash in races). I eventually started working on a ship so it had to stay boxed up. So from March 7th 1997 till some time around 2008 it was completely unused.

Andy Southport.

Latest posts

Back