1992 Diamond Back Response- FINISHED (Pix on Page 4)

Great result, very classy indeed. Glad you went with the black cables in the end, it's nicely balanced as it is. Love it!

street":3f2f7k9h said:
Great result, very classy indeed. Glad you went with the black cables in the end, it's nicely balanced as it is. Love it!

Cheers.

I was going to fit some pink Tioga Brake Tamers, but the SS5s I have fitted were NOS when they went on and I'm loathed to remove the rubber grip on NOS levers just to fit another.

I might post a wanted add to see if anyone wants to swap some SS5s without grips for the ones I have.

I really like this, total no-nonsense bike! Looks like it would be a heap of fun to ride. I'm also a big fan of that era in Tioga stuff, great kit.

Cool bike project, OP. I worked in a shop in the early 90's where we sold Diamond Back mtbs. They were probably my favorite brand we had in the store. It was during the splatter paint years and it still brings me back when I see a pic of one. :)

Re:

Thanks chaps. :D

I've not tried it in anger yet, just a couple of gentle rides to check setup, but it will be doing a lap of Mayhem in June. I rides really nicely, although the forks aren't really anything to write home about. They suffer like most early air forks with serious striction. As they've had a full rebuild with all new seals I'm hoping they'll free up a little with some use but not really bothered if they don't as they are what they are & were original equipment.

I kind of missed DB first time round as none of the local shops stocked them, but I've got to say they deserve more love than they seem to get. If you search the forums, there are surprisingly few around other than a few nice Axis builds.

I'd be very tempted by a Dual Response if I could find one.

Re:

Can't beat a good solid Diamond Back and remember my mate riding one of those. Lovely looking bike, nice one :cool:

Sorry to resurrect a thread from the grave, but hey this is a forum dedicated to ancient stuff lol!

Just had to chime in - yesterday I picked up this exact bike (same model/year/paint) for free on the curbside. It looks all original, and except for dry rotted tires and some wear on the middle chain ring, and some upgrades to the Comp version components (could be factory...) - its should be good to go after a clean and tune up. Tioga bullhorn handlebars even have the Diamond Back branded grips in good shape with no cracks or tears it looks like. XC100 fork might need new seals and the stickers are nearly illegible. brakes are good and even the cables might just need some lube. I think the owner bought it, rode it for a couple seasons and parked it for 30 years!!! Virtually no wear on the tires - too bad they are rotted/cracked.

Are these collectible? By the comments on this thread it sure sounds like its somewhat desirable at least. I was thinking of just cleaning it up and letting my daughter ride it so we can go ride together (18" too small for me). But if they are becoming collectibel/valueable i might consider holding or flipping it. IMG_20220521_190429.jpg IMG_20220521_190531.jpg IMG_20220521_190729.jpg IMG_20220521_190739.jpg

Last edited:
Back