Stolen dream bike found 26 years later? Fat Chance (TC)!

Re: 1989 Fat Chance Team Comp (finished pics page 12)

That's more interloc than I've seen on any one bike!

Re: 1989 Fat Chance Team Comp (finished pics page 14)

Dreambike... :shock:

I finally got the bike out on the local trails, and was it a blast! On the short road rides I have been on, I couldn't deny that the frame felt small to me, and just had to be at peace with the fact that the 20 year old version of me liked to ride smallish frames, though as I've aged I have gravitated towards frames that actually fit me (19-20"). But once I got it out on the trails it made a lot more sense! It was light, and easy to maneuver, with a very playful ride quality. The low stand-over and short wheelbase made it very easy to throw the bike around, and to tackle tight switchbacks.

The IRD brakes worked really well, though they need to be set up with a lot of travel (levers bottom out on the grips when pulled hard), but I always run my brakes with long pull anyways. I never felt out of control, even on the steepest downhill sections. I took a hammering with no front suspension, but I relished the challenge and importance of having to pick good clean lines; no time to be lazy!

Yes modern bikes make trail riding easy, but there are still buckets of fun to be had challenging yourself on an old school rigid ride. Long live retro!!

20170521_144957edit by shamalama88, on Flickr

20170521_141418edit by shamalama88, on Flickr

20170521_141014edit by shamalama88, on Flickr

fitzroybikeco":34sc6go2 said:
wow what an awesome story made for a great end to a wintery day in Melbourne.

What exactly is a winters day in Melbourne like, bet its still +10 to 15c
Which would see most Brits still wearing shorts :LOL:

7 deg, bit of wind......

Retro Spud":3vkmr7v9 said:
fitzroybikeco":3vkmr7v9 said:
wow what an awesome story made for a great end to a wintery day in Melbourne.

What exactly is a winters day in Melbourne like, bet its still +10 to 15c
Which would see most Brits still wearing shorts :LOL:

Back