1991 Marin Team Titanium

A disappointing start as the painter called today to tell me that the fluorescent yellow top coat reacted with the white base coat. This means that the whole lot has to be stripped again and started from scratch. I can't really get very far without the forks, stem, and bars, so I'll just have to wait a while longer.

I can't quite believe that I've left those bits at the painter's workshop all this time. During the long pause in the build I busied myself with some interesting road bikes, and some new MTB stuff. However, this should be my focus as most of its just sat there waiting in a big box.
I discovered that a local powder coated has bought some Fluorescent colours, so I'll retrieve the forks etc and likely get them powdered.

Re:

I'm looking forward to seeing this bike complete and restored.

I've got a 1991 Team Titanium frame #3450 which I've had since new and ridden hard as my only MTB until this summer. It is definitely well used but has held up very well over all these years of riding. It has had some minor upgrades like V-brakes in place of cantilevers, Eggbeaters in place of the original SPD M737 pedals, and a Rockshox Mag21 in place of the original Rockshox. Still has the original shifters, rear derailleur, cranks, Answer Hiperlite bars etc. It's been a great bike and I can't see myself ever parting with it after all this time...

That bike is going to look great when you are done. Polished frames look awesome. Good luck!

Attachments

• IMG_1214 (2).JPG
    IMG_1214 (2).JPG
    270.4 KB · Views: 383
  • IMG_1031 (1).JPG
    IMG_1031 (1).JPG
    233.3 KB · Views: 383
Re:

^^ :cool: Always remember that proper hardcore riders rode these back in the early 90s. Merlins were much much rarer and FAT Tis never ever seen in the UK back then.

They’re great frames to build on. Pretty much the same as 1990 with the exception of the ‘91 having a beefier headtube. When I think back it was always me and my ‘90 Team Titanium. I must have rode it as my only bike for at least a decade. The problems only ever arose when I tried to find longer travel suspension, betterbrakes etc. Hence my decision to turn it back to when it rode its best - just as it was when it was new.
This build won’t be that different, although I’d like a retro bike I don’t mind riding occasionally! I’ve made all the others too clean.

Re: Re:

M-Power":u8x2ybo3 said:
^^ :cool: Always remember that proper hardcore riders rode these back in the early 90s. Merlins were much much rarer and FAT Tis never ever seen in the UK back then.

Quite true - largely down to price I think. Merlin frames were almost as dear as a car back then. I seem to recall the Marin was about £1100 which was in line with Litespeed too. The Merlin was double that and more.

Re: Re:

Great story!

Abt the love for the sport and the original bike. One doesnt need the at-any-time newest equipment to be a real MTBiker.

Would love to see more pictures of the Litespeed.

daveinalberta":2mpnjims said:
I'm looking forward to seeing this bike complete and restored.

I've got a 1991 Team Titanium frame #3450 which I've had since new and ridden hard as my only MTB until this summer. It is definitely well used but has held up very well over all these years of riding. It has had some minor upgrades like V-brakes in place of cantilevers, Eggbeaters in place of the original SPD M737 pedals, and a Rockshox Mag21 in place of the original Rockshox. Still has the original shifters, rear derailleur, cranks, Answer Hiperlite bars etc. It's been a great bike and I can't see myself ever parting with it after all this time...

That bike is going to look great when you are done. Polished frames look awesome. Good luck!

Back