1995 Claud Butler Vantage

Ian W

Retro Guru
Nothing very interesting on this one but I thought I would share.

Claud Butler Vantage
Oversized Ali Frame
Acera X Groupset
Tioga Seat

I have had this bike since new in 1995 when I was 13 years old. I managed to very reluctantly persuade my dad back then that this was the way to go over a Raleigh Activator :LOL: any any other generic Halfords brand back then...

I was told if I wanted it I had to make up the difference in cost, this was £360 compared to the £280 iirc for the Activator, luckily I had my paper round :cool:

Was fully Acera X back then, did me very well for two years before I got my GT Avalanche in 97. In the first couple of years I swapped the Tioga Pyshco 2's in black for grey ones which looked awesome :D

Original Canti's have been upgraded to V-Brakes as the original shifters broke and it was part of the brake lever, don't know why I upgraded..probably made sense at the time. I also had some Club Roost 'down hill' bars that I wish I hadn't sold / lost as they where super comfortable!

Here with are with it now, not a million miles away from how it was 20 years ago but now wearing road tyres and I am clocking up the miles trying to regain some fitness :shock:

It really needs a decent clean and service :oops:

Forgot I had this thread, not much of an update....fitted a set of risers a while ago and still racking up the miles on it, actually a very comfortable bike to ride now.

Owned for 22 years now :eek:

Still need to give it a once over, gears are all over the place at the minute.

Love it, looks well built and dependable. Bet it's a nice ride too. It's great you've had it all this time and love it, very impressed :)

Minifreak":2dpmff5m said:
Love it, looks well built and dependable. Bet it's a nice ride too. It's great you've had it all this time and love it, very impressed :)

It is surprisingly comfortable, the bars are quite wide which I think helps!

k-rod":2dpmff5m said:
Those tires actually look quite nice on it.

They certainly don't look bad, I actually miss the look of the grey Psycho 2 tyres but these ride fantastic on the road so they are staying :D

Thanks for the replies, nice to see the old girl getting some attention in her advanced years :LOL:

I noticed that my seat was getting more and more uncomfortable recently, I think after all these years it was basically just plastic left so I cleaned up my spare Flite (which came up surprisingly well) and fitted it to the Claud.

Took it out today and it's far better now :)

Minor update, I have been after the brace for my bars for a couple of years on and off, put a wanted ad up a few weeks ago and Tizumo kindly offered me one for a great price :)

Fitted last night (ignore the controls, they all need re-aligning after all being off)

Takes me right back to the 90's when I bought the exact bar brand new :D

Little update on this, no point editing the previous pictures but it looked like this...

Fitted some Club Roost bars and my old flight...

Recently upped the retro-ness by adding some Oury grips and a nice brown Charge Spoon, little changes have made a nice difference, new saddle and grips have really upped the comfort level :)

I’d missed this one owner survivor until you commented on my Antaeus thread.

Always good to hear of a bike having a full life... and now you’ve shaken off the shackles of the dreaded Photo*uckit you can post a photo here;
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=401575

Back