Kona Hei Hei King Kahuna - 1997

Re:

Cabling nearly done, most of the cables from my DBR Axis fitted although the rear gear cable inner was too short and I didn't have a new one to hand, grr. Off to Evans tomorrow....

Very nice frame and an amazing find - looks like it's in mint condition too!

I have to agree with the others, that if and when funds allow, try get some race face cranks and a control tech stem on there. And if you ever get bored of the frame (and feel like loitering outside of a train station again, like with your joe murray tyre) you know who to call! Very jealous!!

al-onestare":350vmevu said:
with. They were - and are - race frames. Therefore, the raciest, highest performing, lightest kit really do them justice.

If you've ever seen him race, you will know he doesn't hang around! So there will be no shortage of raciness in this outfit! So don't encourage him to go lighter! :LOL:

I think XT works well, looks good, and as mentioned, is a damn sight cheaper than XTR.

Is there really a LOT of difference in performance, weight, or longevity?

Looking forward to seeing it at Mayhem , Mike! :cool:

Mike, the other

Re:

First proper ride today - two laps around Swinley as a shake-down run. The first felt awful, the second after some tweaking was spot-on.

Spec is as follows:

Frame: 1997 Kona Hei Hei King Kahuna with later factory disc mount and 1999 decals
Fork: Fox Float F100 RLC - travel dropped to 80mm

Headset: Chris King with Ti base plate
Stem: Ritchey WCS
Handlebar: Controltech carbon
Grips: Ritchey WCS foam
Barends: n/a

Brakes: Shimano Deore XT M739
Brake Pads: Clarks
Brake Cables: Shimano
Brake Levers: Shimano Deore XT M739

Shifters: Shimano Deore XT M739
Front Derailleur: Shimano Deore XT M739
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Deore XT M739
Derailleur Cables: Shimano
Cassette: Shimano Hyperglide
Chain: Shimano Hyperglide
Cranks: Shimano Deore XT M739
Crank Bolts: Shimano
Chainrings: Shimano SG
Chainring bolts: Shimano
Bottom Bracket: Shimano
Pedals: Shimano SPD

Hub Skewers: Shimano Deore XT
Rims: Mavic XC717
Hubs: Shimano Deore XT M750
Nipples: DT
Spokes: DT Swiss Stainless Double Butted
Tyres: Panaracer Timbuk II
Tubes: Maxxis

Saddle: Fizik Aliante
Seatpost: Ritchey Carbon
Seatpost Binder: Kona

Weight: More than my Explosif, less than my Fire Mountain....

SP

Attachments

• Swin_3.jpg
    Swin_3.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 825
  • Swin_2.jpg
    Swin_2.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 825
  • Swin_1.jpg
    Swin_1.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 827
Re:

I've been using this exclusively for MTB. My modern bikes are now relegated :D

I did swap the original tyres and fit modern Michelin ones for better grip. Currently it is muddy and the chain is all cacky with oil - but it shows I used it ;) Unlike my '93 Explosif which hasn't been ridden since Mayhem 2017!

SP

Re:

Last February I 'broke' this :evil: . The frame had been repaired with a couple of BB threaded steel inserts (I didn't know that when I bought it) and when out for a retro meet, the shifting went all to pot.... I couldn't select the outer chainring. It turned out the drive-side insert had migrated outwards of the frame, taking the BB and chainset with it!

I have pressed and Loctite'd the sleeve back in and ordered one of those modern (*spits*) Hollowtec II XT chainsets. The idea being that the lateral movement is restricted either way by the opposite crank arm against the BB. Fingers crossed this works - although it'll look crap with modern cranks. :roll: I have considered grub screws into the inserts or a tapered 'frame-saver' BB, but I like this idea best, it requires no further modification to the frame.

I considered Race Face Hollowtec-equivalent cranks, but they appear to be heavier than XT and also the older ones have poor reviews.

Pics to follow.

SP

Back