retromodding, previously Alpinestars Cro-Mega done page 3

bartsince1975

Retro Guru
It started with the search of a new commuter bike, seemed easy.
The wish list:
Steel
Drop bars
Belt drive compatible
Excenter BB or sliding dropouts
Disc brakes
rack mounts + fender mounts
up to 40mm tyres in 650B
30mm or bigger seat post
affordable

Somehow I could not find the right frame unless I would skipp the affordable, unfortunately budget doesn't allow a high end build. The sollution is a retromod: an E-stay is belt compatible, I have an 91 Alpinestars collecting dust. I would not have done it with a later Tange tubed model, too light and flexy for a belt drive, and I value them higher. The frame has a 58cm horizontal top tube, perfect for a drop bar. It is steel and easily converted to disc brakes and excenter BB. Framebuilder that want's to do the conversion has been found. That will cost some money, but the frame was only 35€. Most parts for the rest of the build are already in my possesion and through my job I can get my hands on cheap Gates CDX parts. Big advantage of doing this conversion is I get a fully rigid 26" single speed MTB as well, conversion to another wheelsize will be a piece of cake.
Let's go geronimooooo! :twisted: should be ready before Eurobike 2017

Part one, cutting away the unwanted parts and marking the cable guide and rack mount positions:

Re: retromodding, previously Alpinestars Cro-Mega DX

Nice to see something a bit different happening...

Interested in seeing where you take this and how useable the end result is

Re:

Fantastic ideas... I've fancied the idea of a rigid disc alpine essay for ages but never had the opportunity to put it into affect. Top notch to go the whole hog and go belt drive as well!

G

That is a great plan, you have there!
We just politely ask you to make this very detailed and photo heavy topic!

Re:

Thanks guys, I was curious how you would response to this out of the box build. As always this site is possitive and friendly, thank you all for that, I hope it stays that way and I 'll try to do my bit.

As for the build, most parts are in house last ones are ordered (but delivery postponed). I'm going to ship the frame next week, no idea how long it will take him but he said he had enough time to do it fairly soon. Some parts will need a little work so I can update you all with a growing number of parts.

Re:

I remember one of my good riding buddies from art college days in the 'Diff' riding one of these – their 6 foot 6 inch stick insect proportions made it look like a bmx. Some might say it's an utter heinous outrage to remove original features from an old iconic bike frame but then it's always good to sit up and see something that's different to regulation retro and demonstrates an inventive creative process (remember the recent Apollo Laser?). Crack on! As said above, hope this is a "very detailed and photo-heavy".

A bit later than expected, lifes too busy at the moment. Frame has been send and I hope to have it back in 2 weeks. In the meantime I have build the wheels and gathered some parts. Guess the colour sceme for this one ;) still on track to have it finished before eurobike. I will probably change the seat post for a Thompson I have on another bike.

Attachments

• parts.jpg
    parts.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 1,040

Checking in! Cool idea with a futuristic frame. So 650b will fit in easy...

Back