Proflex 856 refurb

artfulflounder

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
This was one of the first frames i got from here back in 2014/15
Been sat in shed doing nothing so thought it was about time i did something with it.

Just looking to make a reliable, clean xc bike.

20170524_105213_zpsffgvu8sr.jpg

will be getting frame and swingarm powder coated so not worried about that at the moment.

Have a full lx580 groupset which i will use, can't really afford to go age related xt groupo. The lx has a good rightup as a reliable set so fits the bill.

I have seatpost, stem and bars sorted too.

The rest i need some help and guidance from the forum members.

Girvin vectors are proving hard to find at a good price, don't mind rebuilding but still around £200 mark.....girvin chubbys maybe but again not alot around.
I do have a pair of Manitou mars c from a mount vision would these be of any use?

Brake wise currently lx570 v's but been watching a few sets of magura h33's as these would be ideal
maybe if using manitou's could go disc.....? get tab welded to swingarm for rear disc.

Wheels i have a pair of mavic xm117's....front on specialized stout rear shimano deore both v's or disc compatible.......would these be suitable?
If i did go disc have a set sun blackeye rims /deore hubs disc only.

Rear elmastomers will be upgraded to spring or modern shock if i can get an adapter made.

20170524_105406_zpsrvmy0ggw.jpg

will get frame and swingarm done this week and contact gil for the decals.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I built a 96 proflex attack last year. They were decent bikes in their day. If you must go with disk brakes there are multiple adapters on the market. Some have had luck with the A2Z brand adapter. Personally I think it's more at a hassle to do that. V-brakes work well. My personal taste would also be to polish the rear triangle and repaint the front. There are a few options out there for suspension. You can replace the rear elastomers. Suspensionforkparts.com has them. I bought a custom made spring for mine. It worked well but there was no rebound dampening. I have seen other bikes with actual rear shocks. That's the best way to go if you can make it work.

Re:

Been hunting for parts mainly....

Got a more suitable wheelset, deore m510 hubs with mavic d521 rims.

Just missed out on a 1x10 setup but thinking of going 2x9 with my lx m580 crankset.
36t/22 or 24t with guard ring.

Has non ods rear end so after rear ods then New spring can be fitted...450lb seems common.

Re:

been beavering away collecting parts.

The elastomers turned themselves to mush during the warm weather. Horrible stuff that sticks to everything.

elastomers_zpsohfrz8ef.jpg

managed to find front and rear ods with springs at a very good price from fleabay. Friendly gent sent them over from the states.

seat%20stays_zpsmqlndln9.jpg

Bit of elbow grease with wet and dry of various grades to clean up swingarm.

polished%20swingarm_zps2373gebv.jpg

collected frame back from powder coaters. Used Mastercoat in Norwich...excellent service and very helpful.

powdered%20frame_zpscnvpytl2.jpg

Using the manitou mars c that i have so did a little research and managed to remove the stauntions. striping and repainting lowers at the moment.

Ordered a selection of different ferrules to see which ones i can use with the frame.

like to say thanks to legrandfromage who picked up a wheelset for me :D also for taking time to reply to my questions........cheers buddy

There is an 855 frame and girvin forks on the bay at the moment, they are for parts and could be perfect for you, and cheap at the moment :)

Mark

Back