1987 Cameron Rebuild & Wiki - A Wee Face Lift

Re:

Type II fork is off to FTW for a mod. Pretty sure that's the route I'm taking now.

Bar and stem and all freshened up. New powered on the LD Stem.

Re:

Home stretch ...

The fork is back and lengthened to fit the Cameron. I'll send it to the powder coater later this week.

Ibis Type II and LD stem 285) WTB Drops:

Just joined to say - great thread! Brought back so many memories. I am a proud owner of a Harv Cameron (non-suspension). I picked it up at Cycle Logic in '92 or thereabouts, though I think it had been in the store for a while at that point. I haven't ridden much in recent years, but it's the only bike I'm ridden since the early nineties. Still in great shape though, and still love it.

At one point about 10-15 years back, my bottom bracket broke, and I was having a hell of a time finding a replacement. Cycle logic was long gone, and it seemed to be a custom part. Can't recall what was unique - maybe that it was combined with the cassette? (I am shamefully ignorant technically here, especially given that I'm a mechanical engineer).

On a whim, I took to the phone book (or maybe canada411.com at the time) and managed to track down Harv Cameron. I called him and explained my predicament. He said he should have some spares in his shop, and invited me to come and see. I went over with a buddy, and had a great chat with him. He showed us his hobby of the moment - making little trebuchets in his shop (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trebuchet). Any way, he had the part, and I think he even installed it for me. Hell of a nice and interesting guy. Sorry to hear of his passing.

Re:

Amazing!!!

So glad you shared that. I would love to see a pic of that bike or even in person if you are still int he GTA :)

Happy to post pics. I'm in Whitby now, but back in Toronto all the time. In fact, my mom is selling the house I grew up in (Yonge & Lawrence) as I type - accepting offers tonight.

FattyMcGhee":6qrqeugl said:
Happy to post pics. I'm in Whitby now, but back in Toronto all the time. In fact, my mom is selling the house I grew up in (Yonge & Lawrence) as I type - accepting offers tonight.

I sent you a PM.

Selling at Yonge and Lawrence eh - waaaaaaaaay over asking :LOL:

I'm a former Leasider - arch rivals :p

Here are a few quick shots:

Attachments

• Cameron1.jpg
    Cameron1.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 858
  • Cameron2.jpg
    Cameron2.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 858
  • Cameron3.jpg
    Cameron3.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 858
Re:

Totally done now. It did really well apart from some squealing from the new brake pads and rims, and a loose headset near the end of the ride. A few little adjustments and some tightening here and there and it's back to regular use.

I'll do a nice photo shoot of it later. For now, just some ride shots.

Frame: c1987 Cameron

Fork: Ibis Type 2

Headset: XT730
Stem: Ibis "LD"
Handlebar: Specialized Dirt Drop
Grips: Leather

Brakes: XT730
Brake Pads: Scott Mathauser
Brake Cables: Shimano SLR
Cantilever cable hangers:
Brake Levers: Dura Ace

Shifters: XT730 with WTB Pods