Stolen dream bike found 26 years later? Fat Chance (TC)!

Re: Dream Bike Stolen - Found 26 Years Later? Fat Chance (TC)!!!

Okay, so we have some progress! Toxic and I have been going back and forth and got the colours and design sorted. Here are a few pics to keep everyone up to date:

The first blue (far right) was a little too grey, so Harald did the middle one. Perfect!

2016-07-08 11.36.40-1 by shamalama88, on Flickr

I have no idea what this diagram means, but it shows the man is thinking!

2016-07-02 14.57.24 by shamalama88, on Flickr

This picture kind of gives away a lot of the plot. Spoiler Alert!!!

2016-07-02 14.05.46 by shamalama88, on Flickr

Now I don't feel quite as bad about my messy workspace...

Re:

I was at Toxik's yesterday picking up bike show posters.
saw the finished product. You won't be disappointed. :cool:

Harald said he was shipping it to you. Why don't you pick it up
when you come to the show. Better yet bring the parts and we
can do a bike building demo in the parking lot at the show. :LOL:

GET ON WITH IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It took me a long time to figure out the paint job (M-Power can attest to that!). My first impulse was to paint it exactly as it was the first time around. But then I recalled thinking the green fork never quite matched the frame, and at first glance looked like it had come from a different bike altogether. So I felt there must be another paint job that could use the two colours in harmony. The blue and green reminded me of the classic Aquafade, but Fat Chance didn't start using that scheme until the Yo Eddy's arrived. I thought about how I could do a fade that would have been possible in the late 80s. A few different ideas came to mind. Then finally one night I was lying in bed thinking about it, and the stars in the logo came to mind, and how cool it would be for the stars to achieve the 'fade' or 'bleed'.

Toxik Harald was very patient and helpful as I barraged him with ideas and questions, getting the colours right, and giving feedback as he designed the star transition. When I unpacked the frame, I was stunned at what a job Harald had done; it matched my vision perfectly, and the execution was/is flawless. He was even able to get the paint job done in time for me to build the bike for next weekend's Toxik Show n' Shine over in Richmond. Big thanks to Harald for making this happen; he more than did the frame justice.

It was a big expense relatively speaking, but considering my friend Phil Roach et al. donated the frame and many original parts to the project, I felt more than justified in the splurge. Plus, with the rough and tumble life this orphaned frame has gone through, I felt it had earned the privilege of new paint. I will never have a bigger better bike related story to tell than this one, and if my spirits ever need a lift down the road, I just need to take a peek at this beauty, and everything is all right all right all right...

I think it would be a long shot Roy.

My first build (and what you will see next weekend) is going to be as close to my original bike as I can get, which to be fair was more utilitarian than jaw dropping. Lots of decent components but nothing flashy beyond the wheels. It could only win on the merits of the stellar paint job and back story.

When I get back home I will slowly rebuild it to Reboot Glory Build status...

Back