1991 Marin Team Titanium

Benandemu

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I really can't remember when I bought this, who, or where I bought it from - somewhere in the US, and probably from eBay I think. It seems to have been patiently hanging from various nails and hooks around the garage for ages. It's only very recently that I started to picture what the completed bike would actually look like, which is likely the reason why it was ignored for so long.

I contacted Litespeed for build dates, and they very quickly replied with a date of March 1991, and also that it was destined for the US market. As such, the decals differ slightly from the UK and European versions. The differences between this model and the previous year's is that this sees the introduction of an 1 1/8th head tube, and the dropouts are instantly recognisable as Marin's own design rather than Litespeed's - the rest is basically the same. This is among the last to be produced which were polished, as Litespeed realised the benefit of blasting the weld points to relieve stress.

The frame isn't mint, and as you can see it's been ridden pretty hard at times. There are plenty of scars underneath, and the chain damage to the chainstay is quite harsh just behind the chainrings. I've sanded this back using various grades of paper, and all the sharp bits have gone! It'll never be new again, but there's no terminal damage - just surface scars. Unlike my earlier Marin, I won't be sending this frame to be professionally polished. Instead, I'll be hand polishing it, and trying to retain a degree of patina as I actually want to ride this one. If I go too far, then it'll be a garage queen.

Anyway, I'll let the build thread uncover the final vision, as I gather and modify all the necessary bits.

Pictures aren't great. I'll use a better camera next time...

28jusqo.jpg

jkuiie.jpg

The only decal that it came with is the seat tube one. This is the same one used for UK/Europe/US markets.

287htzd.jpg

16h4w9u.jpg

Some bits are really clean, and will make the hand polishing a doddle...

wqx89z.jpg

rjnwvp.jpg

You can just make out the outline of where the original Marin down tube decal was.

33w9yfb.jpg

Let's just talk about hand polishing Titanium for a minute...
...it's extremely time consuming, not to mention tiring. The right way to deal with this particular frame was to work through various grades of 3M pads to remove all the surface scratches and scuffs, and work to finish with a fine paper. As Titanium is such a hard element, this in itself is no easy task. Then, when you're happy the scuffs are gone, you're left with a very dull, almost matt grey surface. This will need to be wiped with a cleaning agent to remove any dirt or grime before you can start polishing. Don't even bother with the wadding or cloth type metal polish that can be used on jewellery and alloy; it will have absolutely no effect. It needs to be a fairly abrasive metal polish like Autosol, and it'll need lots of it. I've done the rear stays, and the seat tube so far - this has used over a tube's worth. I'll use at least two tubes by the time it's done.

veyn29.jpg

zxtywx.jpg

21kifpf.jpg

The Ritchey Logic forks, Marin stem, and bars are all at the painters this week. Fluorescent yellow will make an appearance!

Benandemu":26ckezl1 said:
I really can't remember when I bought this, who, or where I bought it from - somewhere in the US, and probably from eBay I think. It seems to have been patiently hanging from various nails and hooks around the garage for ages. It's only very recently that I started to picture what the completed bike would actually look like, which is likely the reason why it was ignored for so long.

I contacted Litespeed for build dates, and they very quickly replied with a date of March 1991, and also that it was destined for the US market. As such, the decals differ slightly from the UK and European versions. The differences between this model and the previous year's is that this sees the introduction of an 1 1/8th head tube, and the dropouts are instantly recognisable as Marin's own design rather than Litespeed's - the rest is basically the same. This is among the last to be produced which were polished, as Litespeed realised the benefit of blasting the weld points to relieve stress.

The frame isn't mint, and as you can see it's been ridden pretty hard at times. There are plenty of scars underneath, and the chain damage to the chainstay is quite harsh just behind the chainrings. I've sanded this back using various grades of paper, and all the sharp bits have gone! It'll never be new again, but there's no terminal damage - just surface scars. Unlike my earlier Marin, I won't be sending this frame to be professionally polished. Instead, I'll be hand polishing it, and trying to retain a degree of patina as I actually want to ride this one. If I go too far, then it'll be a garage queen.

Anyway, I'll let the build thread uncover the final vision, as I gather and modify all the necessary bits.

Pictures aren't great. I'll use a better camera next time...

28jusqo.jpg

jkuiie.jpg

The only decal that it came with is the seat tube one. This is the same one used for UK/Europe/US markets.

287htzd.jpg

16h4w9u.jpg

Some bits are really clean, and will make the hand polishing a doddle...

wqx89z.jpg

rjnwvp.jpg

You can just make out the outline of where the original Marin down tube decal was.

33w9yfb.jpg

Fantastic looking frame, how much does it weigh being titanium?

Excellent shine. The first expensive mtb I tried to buy was the Marin Ti. alas I failed.
I'd say it weighs 3lb 5oz approx. No heavier than 3lb 8oz

Re:

It's coming on a treat Ben, once again you're setting the benchmark extremely high. :cry: :cool: Are you going m735 or something more fancy from that seeming bottomless stash of yours? :D

Back