Complete rebuild of 1990's MTB to 2016 XT spec 1x10

Below is a detailed photo of how the fully fitted Shimano XTR 93 Hollowtech 2 looks fitted into the Truvativ American / Euro bottom bracket adaptor.

Attachments

• IMG_3479.jpg
    IMG_3479.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 472
Hi Dare

Thanks for looking at my thread. Don't panic I haven't painted the inside the cups. The inside has just been washed out with gun wash to ensure the original surface is as clean as possible.

The other small job I carried yesterday was to wash out the original headset bearings and check their condition. The fork had turned perfectly before I dissembled the bike so I wasn't expecting any surprises with them. The headset had lots of grease within it which has helped to look after the bearings over the last twenty years.

After soaking in gun wash for 8 hours I removed them and checked the tightness of the bearing cage and all was in good condition. I then measured every other bearing with digital callipers and the bearings where still very much round and had no flat spots or excessive wear present.

After checking I have placed them into a plastic sealy bag ready for installing the front fork later in the week. These will be installed into the bike as the modern equivalent do not seem any better quality wise compared to the original.

Photos below....

Attachments

• IMG_3502.jpg
    IMG_3502.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 466
  • IMG_3501.jpg
    IMG_3501.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 466
  • IMG_3500.jpg
    IMG_3500.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 466
  • IMG_3330.jpg
    IMG_3330.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 466
  • IMG_3329.jpg
    IMG_3329.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 466
Hi Kingbling

Thanks for the positive comments. My Dad is unaware of the amount of work going into his old bike as I want it to be a surprise. He thinks I am just patching up his old ride so I can continue practising my riding.

New rider I am sure your father will be blown away with the detail and effort you are putting into this build. Its nice to see someone taking the time and patience to detail so much of what us old hands take for granted when building a bike. It is always good to know that another human has taken to cycling well done.

Re:

You're making such quick work of this project. Very inspiring, I'm feeling very slack in not getting onto the three frames I have hanging around.... I might have to spend some time in the garage this weekend.

After losing so much weight on the rear wheel will you be swapping out the front wheel as well? It will make a big difference to that long ride you have coming up. You'll be very pleasantly surprised by the difference the wheels and gearing will make to your ride.

Re:

Those headset bearings are looking freshly minted – great work there – you're fair rattling through the build.

Hi Guys

Thanks for the messages. The project is coming along well as I am lucky that my boss is very understanding and I keep all the bike parts under my work desk. This allows my to spend lunch hours and around one hour after work everyday. On top of this I take parts home to work on. This has helped to keep things going as if it wasn't for this it would run the risk of stalling and then take probably months.

Back