85 Overbury's Peak Finder back from the dead

Re:

Before you kill yourself have you tried ammonia (Wilkos dirt cheap). Eats the alu oxide binding the post

I mix it with plus gas..then run away for a day or so

Re: Last night I went to Bristol............

I've spent six months giving this a spray or a twist or a tug every other weekend or so so now I will not be beaten. I have my gloves and goggles. Just need to rig something up to support it in a safe part of the garden.

Plus gas and freeze spray won't work on an alloy post..that's for steel on steel. The post is chemically bonded with the alloy oxide. I think dissolving the whole thing in caustic is a bit last resort and mullers the paint..and you.. if you get it near you

;)

The History Man":37i0f5mw said:
I've spent six months giving this a spray or a twist or a tug every other weekend or so so now I will not be beaten. I have my gloves and goggles. Just need to rig something up to support it in a safe part of the garden.

:cool:

Attachments

• beach_main.jpg
    beach_main.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 1,091

Well. That was epic. Most rewarding. To see the frame bucking and rocking on the stand as plumes of steam billowed from the bb while the post hissed and screamed in desperation. Two hours and it was over. Two hundred and twenty millimetres of post vanished into the ether. Alchemy. I mixed my potion as strong as I dared. So strong that I could barely hold the water bottle I used to dispense each dose into the neck of the seat tube at the bottom bracket. The heat generated in the bottle was of little consequence when compared to wrath of Hades Suffered by the painted frame.

The final death throws of my nemesis consisted of a fizzing, bubbling sliver of silver. Rather reminiscent of the terminator 2 denouement.

The foe is vanquished!
c3abab6676ced536c2cbca25b0c052dd_zps2ojrlhnm.jpg

Sat having my tea with this on the table in front of me. I was going to hand paint or spray this myself but looking at the 'patina' I actually quite like the battle scars and records of adventures past. The paint was in such poor condition before today's ordeal that the new injuries seem to add to the character of the frame, rather than detract from the overall look. I've done a bit of rust stabilisation after drying it out, spraying in the tubes with wd40 before a rest in a sun bathed tree for the afternoon.

Destined for 9 speed parts bin super narrow stealth build for those little excursions/explorations we all make from time to time.

8b76eaab2404c419c5bd9704163e15c4_zpsdpxv6s8y.jpg

Antstark":f4kdtxuy said:
Plus gas and freeze spray won't work on an alloy post..that's for steel on steel. The post is chemically bonded with the alloy oxide. I think dissolving the whole thing in caustic is a bit last resort and mullers the paint..and you.. if you get it near you

;)

The History Man":f4kdtxuy said:

Plus gas does work on steel frame and aluminium seatpost. They contract at different rates. I've done it before.

Back