1993 Marin Team Restoration

Re:

Tell me more about this rigid Manitou concept.... Funnily enough I was wondering why rigid legs for these suspension crowns weren't more of a thing because that would be ideal. Maybe I missed a meeting... Who made them?

Ha! Same here, I was looking at your thread and when you said you've always been a rigid sort of a bloke (oo-er...), I though well why not find something suitable to drop down the stanchions to lock the fork up... :D

Re: Re:

ringo":jnf0gd88 said:
Tell me more about this rigid Manitou concept.... Funnily enough I was wondering why rigid legs for these suspension crowns weren't more of a thing because that would be ideal. Maybe I missed a meeting... Who made them?

Ha! Same here, I was looking at your thread and when you said you've always been a rigid sort of a bloke (oo-er...), I though well why not find something suitable to drop down the stanchions to lock the fork up... :D

Ahh cool okay, then we're on the same page :D something rigid to replace the elastomer stack is a cool idea but i was thinking more of a replacement leg to lessen the weight penalty.
I think I've seen Bonty ones in a Pace crown before but I may have dreamed that. A pair of Bontrager trousers buckled to the Manitou belt I have would be the ideal but there's a strong chance I imagined it :LOL:

Street - my 1994 is definitely painted and I'm wondering whether yours is (was) definitely all clearcoat over plain steel? On mine there is a white-ish undercoat and the titaniumy goldy steel colour coat, and I thought it was just the T. Issue that had any sort of Nickel plating?

Would be great if you could clarify. My gut feel is that I'd like to go your way, but it would mean new Tange stickers and having to removed the 'made in..' and so on...
Have you managed to source new Tange sticker for yours?

Hi Pondweed, I'm just about finished restoring the frame and I can confirm it's definitely Nickel plate under a clear lacquer on this model.
As far as I know, the finish on the 1993 (and 1992) Team Marin and Team Issue is the same Nickel plating with a protective lacquer. I don't know much about the 1994 range but from your description it is paint rather than plated, so be aware that you will not have the same results with a strip and polish. If it were me I'd go for a repaint in the original colour, if the original paint can't be saved.

For the decals I'm relying heavily on Gil's rather solid reputation, but I'm confident he will be able to supply the ones I need including the Tange one. May even go a little bit maverick and request something custom, I'm pretty sure it will be no problem.

Will be updating soon!

Great project this and the Marin Team bikes ride superbly. Here is how mine turned out, before and after with help from Gil with the decals :)

Re:

Minifreak- Your Team Issue is an inspiration! May even have been instrumental in my deciding to buy this :LOL:

I've made a little progress on this one. A little bit slow because I kept changing my mind about the spec but tidying up the frame kept me busy:

The frame needed a good polish but first it needed the laquer taking off. I used cheap paint stripper as the coating we're taking off isn't very thick and it made short work of it.

I just washed the paint stripper off, gave it a light going over with 2000 wet and dry where it needed it, then chrome cleaner. Very pleased with the outcome. It's Amazing how well even the worst looking areas can look once cleaned back. The nickel plate is bare now, I thought about clear-coating again but I think I'll just keep it as it is and polish it again as and when. I'll apply decals a bit later in the build.

I got a Salsa stem as part of a generous bundle (thanks lockedmyselfout) and it's perfect for this. I liked the Syncros but the Salsa suits the slender tubing of the Marin much better. I was going to change the bars originally but only because the logos got covered up by the fat Syncros so now they're back in play. There was nothing wrong with the old XT STIs but Deore thumbies and SS7s are a nice combo, and I like the black and silver theme.

I kept changing my mind about the forks, mainly due to the state of the rusted stanchions you can see in the pic. One minute I was going to chuck a pair of Project 2s on it and go rigid, then Pace RC35s which I always wanted a pair of, then back to rebuilding these... Thankfully I was offered some good replacement stanchions (thanks Niellesie) which made my mind up to persevere with reconditioning the Manitous.

Naturally the elastomers are knackered, which is a given really but I was surprised they weren't reduced to a goo from the years it's spent sat in a damp garage. I don't fancy spending £50+ on new ones, at least not until I've had a go at Blue-Peter'ing a set myself.
That's about a foot of the Polyeurethene rod you can get off of Amazon I'm holding in the pic, which is too firm but for £6 delivered is worth experimenting with for at least some of the stack. I did consider trying valve springs out of a cylinder head, but I'm still thinking for now. Worst case I will make the whole stack out of that stiff stuff to get it rideable again.
Still looking for 1 Araya 395 Team rim or wheel!

Looking fantastic street, i really love seeing someone rebuild a bike back to its former glory showing the whole process. This is going to be super sweet :)

Re:

I certainty will Johnmarin_77. I think I've got the elastomers sorted so I'll update about that shortly, and also my new stanchions will have arrived by then so I can rebuild them very soon.

With the frame finished and the fork situation in hand it's almost time to start building her up. I've been collecting parts over the past few months and one thing that's been bothering me is the wheels. She came with an Araya RM-395 Team up front but a Mavic 231 on the rear.

(Excuse the picture quality) I tried to find an Araya to match but it soon became clear that they're not common enough to find quickly or cheaply, so I gave up and went to plan B:

I scored this very low mileage pair of 32h Campagnolo Thorr rims laced to XT M730 hubs. I like Campy rims, I had a set of Stheno on a bike years ago which were stupidly light but a little weak. Thorrs are meant to be rather strong so I'm looking forward to trying them out.
I'd quite like to lace that American Classics hub that's on the original wheel into these rims along with the 15/17 spokes and black aluminium nips. But perhaps I'll look for a nice silver rear hub (anyone?) and do it all at the same time.

The other thing I wanted to do was to upgrade all of the DX components to XT (apart from the XT shifters I've downgraded to Deore thumbshifters) and so I'm using a nice clean set of XT M732 cantis. I know it should have low profile cantis but I just love these SLR type. I gave them a clean and fitted them with a set of new Fibrax pads.

More updates soon, thanks for looking!

Back