Stolen dream bike found 26 years later? Fat Chance (TC)!

Re: Dream Bike Stolen - Found 26 Years Later? Fat Chance (TC)!!!

Okay not much action to report lately, except for this small sidebar to the story. I have been on a mission to sell some bikes recently, to raise money and make room in the stable for the Team Comp, so I reluctantly built up this 1996 Brodie Sovereign to sell (I was going to keep it for myself):

20170325_122955 by shamalama88, on Flickr

Well it sold without much trouble on the first day I listed it. The only issue was the buyer was over in Vancouver and I had to wait until early April to complete the transaction, when he plans to be in Victoria. We chatted on facebook messenger for a bit, and he tells me he knows Paul Brodie and Toxic Harald, and that his plan is to have Harald re-paint the Sovereign. I then proceed to tell him Toxic has a bike of mine waiting in the queue for some paint, a Fat Chance Team Comp. His response was, he too owned a 1989 Team Comp, same as mine! My jaw dropped, as his was probably one of a handful in Canada, and then I asked him if it had a three colour stipple fade? It did! The same bike as in the pics above, which I have pored over pictures of posted on the Fatcogs site. Even better, he is going to bring it over for me "for inspiration" when he buys my Brodie! I am going to talk his ear off that's for sure, and learn as much from him as I can about his bike. I know that he picked the colours for his frame, and the stipple sponge fade was done by Mike Papadopoulos at Fat City Cycles. He feels (as I do) that his bike may have been the inspiration for the iconic Yo Eddy aquafade...

user2037_pic548_1359010177 by shamalama88, on Flickr

Now I have been doing some thinking about the paint job for my TC, and have some good ideas. But I am still hashing it out with Harald, and I don't want to say what I have in mind until I have his go ahead for my vision. Also, I may simply not be able to afford it.

Anybody want to buy some bikes??

While I am waiting for paint, I have been acquiring a few things. A yellow Specialized bottle cage (Thanks James!), Suntour XC Compe pedals (thanks Joseph), and some minty Ground Control yellow labels (thanks Jay!). Three "J"s.

Not GC 'S' mind you, but these will do nicely...

17352087_1178617315598380_3183714132458878083_n by shamalama88, on Flickr

and I bought myself some bb cartridge bearings off the Bay. Love the diagram!

20170314_163655 by shamalama88, on Flickr

What an amazing story.

Just read the whole thing, cheered me right up.

Good luck with the project.

Re:

Thats amazing to think that this custom 89? TC paint job by Mikey P is the precursor to the iconic Yo Aquafade. You learn something new every day :cool:

I asked Leni Fried the same Q a few years ago. She's a famous artist and can command such a commission fee. One of her FAT paint jobs for Chevy Chase went way too cheap then.

I met up with Mark the other day to sell him my Brodie Sovereign, and as promised he brought his Fat Chance Team Comp over to show me! He was in a rush to catch a ferry, so we didn't have time to get it out of the back of his vehicle, but I managed to snap a couple of photos.

20170406_111048 by shamalama88, on Flickr

20170406_111100 by shamalama88, on Flickr

20170406_111110 by shamalama88, on Flickr

Such a beautiful paintjob by Mike Papadopolous, a custom sponge stipple three colour 'aquafade'. Colours chosen by Mark when he worked at Fat City Cycles back in the day. It was so great to meet Mark and chat about our bikes, brief though it was. But he will be moving over to the island soon, and we are planning to get together for a TC ride, hopefully the first of many. The lucky (or just has his priorities straight) guy has taken Paul Brodie's frame building course, twice (!) and has two bikes to show for it. Here's a picture of Mark, Paul, and a beautiful 4130 chromoly fillet brazed frame.

Mark Owen and Paul Brodie by shamalama88, on Flickr

Talk about generous, in the spirit of this restoration project, Mark even offered up his original Salsa stem for my build. The colour is that of his TC. Its pretty long at 150mm, and I'd hate to re-paint it, but its nice to have options! Super cool...

20170406_113048 by shamalama88, on Flickr

Great post Shamus :)

Ah my bad. Been a while since I spannered in the local shop :LOL:

This is the karma/luck/coincidence topic of all times...
How small are the odds of this all happening, you must have done something good in the past ;-)

Back