1992 Alpinestars Al Mega XTR

26er":vdgpsfgj said:
Not to mention the tires. "Technical Knock Out"!
OMG!
Ha! They're two of the parts not being transferred. Gonna keep those in NOS condition (no point in using them, they're shite!), fitting them to the 91 DX, and taking the Ritchey Megabite Z-Max off that for the Ti.

The parts from this AM XTR that won't be transferred to the Ti-Mega are fork, headset, stem, bars, seatpost, seat clamp, saddle and tyres (tires if you're reading this in the USA :LOL:) and the wheel skewers! Oh, and the 2 ½" rear brake outer cable feeding onto the rear seat collar guide, as the Ti will use the 91-spec rear cable hanger and some new XTR cable karma'd by THM.

Everything else is being transplanted. (Possibly not the grips either though, despite being my favourite grips ever they're rarer than rocking horse manure, so I'll probably save those.)

From the opening post...
regan_ev":21x38t2a said:
I had a poster (well a magazine cutout) of this model on my bedroom wall as a fourteen year-old in 1992...
Finally found the missing stash of mags in the garage loft yesterday, which were hiding this beauty. :D

It's THE aforementioned magazine advert cutout (Mountain Biker magazine, January 1992) that I thought was lost forever. Maybe I'll mount or frame it. Just chuffed to see it again!

Notice the slight differences with production models: fork is different - mine does not have clamp-on canti mounts like these, which look to be a '91 spec fork; decals are slightly different - the AL MEGA is coloured instead of being surrounded with 'paint strips', and the 'XTR' and 'System' are black, not white; stem is different, with a single clamp bolt and black colour and lastly, the pedals are either non-Shimano or they have been 'photoshopped' to hide the 'Deore XT' logos on the PD-M735 that came on the XTR.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    219.9 KB · Views: 586
Re:

Wow - and I have one too :D

Mine is a late 1992 bought by a German gentleman, who rode for some 300 km, hang it on the wall and only took it down, when upgrading parts.
Being very systematic (and German) he boxed all original parts, that he took off, so it is very easy to build back.

Currently fitting the original head set, so that a Manitou 2 fork can make way for the original alu fork.

Oohhh - and I got the Alpinestars carbon handle bar, that Regan found for his Ti-build :LOL:

K.

Latest posts

Back