1994 Marin Team F.R.S.

It's not often that I'm compelled to comment these days, but these frames really do make all the effort of restoration worth while, and viewing this has rekindled a love for my own.
I'll be watching...

Benandemu":3ftmmi2z said:
It's not often that I'm compelled to comment these days, but these frames really do make all the effort of restoration worth while, and viewing this has rekindled a love for my own.
I'll be watching...

Thank you for the endorsement Ben.. i am truly humbled. If i can get it looking anywhere near as good as yours i will be happy.

Stem, bar ends and water bottle cage are with the painters. I have chosen Seat Alor Blue with a satin finish which looks quite close to the original i hope.

Evening all...

Rich passed this over to me to get the pivot tubes out.
Someone has given them a good hammering and expanded the ends.
Luckily the very thin forged lower yoke has not cracked...

I cut two sections of tubing, one 3/4" OD with a larger internal diameter than the 5/8" OD of the pivot tube.
The other is a 15mm OD steel tube, slightly smaller than the 5/8" OD of the pivot tube.

Arrange them all in a press and, well, press:

The ends of the pivot tubes are too badly burred over to rescue, so I'll source some stainless 5/8" OD tubing to make some new ones.

The pivot bushes are pretty tight, so just need some cleaning up and a re-fit:

All the best,

Attachments

• IMAG0354.jpg
    IMAG0354.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 894
  • IMAG0358.jpg
    IMAG0358.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 894
  • IMAG0357.jpg
    IMAG0357.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 894
  • IMAG0359.jpg
    IMAG0359.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 894
  • IMAG0361.jpg
    IMAG0361.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 894
  • IMAG0360.jpg
    IMAG0360.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 894
Re:

Sterling work so far Dan.. i hope it didn't prove too taxing.

And to think i was thinking of leaving it as it was!

Re:

A few overdue updates...

Firstly i got the frame back from Dan last week. He pressed in some new pivot tubes, removed the bottom bracket and welded on a new cable guide under the bb shell as the old one had been crushed. What a top bloke. He picked it up from my house, did the work and dropped it off again for about the same price as it would have cost me to post it!! I offered him more money but he wouldn't take it. Thanks bud.

Secondly i got the stem, bottle cage and bar ends back from the painter eventually yesterday.

They look a bit darker than they actually are in this picture.

Re:

And thirdly i picked up the wheels from wheelbuilder his lives local to where i work in Oundle. His website is www.velowheels.co.uk if anyone is interested and comes with a good recommendation from me.

Also whilst waiting for those jobs to be done i stumbled upon a nos handlebar on French ebay!!! They had a couple left when i brought mine.. sorry for the poor pic.

Re:

Next job is to sort out the decals.. i have a selection of nos ones that i have accumulated and never used that need modifying to spell Team F.R.S. but more on that next time. Here it is how it currently stands with amberwalls instead of the original marin lite 120tpi ones.

Re:

That's a great update, and it's great to see the lengths you're taking to get this built up properly.
My only criticism is your camera, and there's not enough photos to drool over - haha!

Back