1981 and 1987 Moots Mountaineer Rebuilds

Re:

Already looking better.

Swapped the suspension fork for a fillet brazed 80s unicrown. It could pass for or may even be a Moots, but I think it's bontrager. Even unpainted it looks better.

Original c1981 Acocet RS brown leather saddle. I'll admit part of me bought the bike just to use this saddle. Lovely matching patina for the bike.

Another set of deerhead/araya wheels with original panaracer IBEX rubber (I'll use the the original wheels with new rims when completed)

Re:

Heres a shot of those Moots Mounts. I'll use a Suntour Rollercam with the Moots brake booster.

Re: 1982 or 1983 Moots Mountaineer

Those Moots mounts are very cool, as is the booster. Innovations like that, especially early examples, are what attracts me to bikes and brands too. Can't get enough of it.
Great job with the fork, so much better!

I dig this one a lot. Apparently Kent Erickson made 320 Moots frames (Mountaineer, Road and Tandem) between 82 and the 85 so they are pretty rare.

Just bought some more Golden Arrow kit for it so I can (attempt) to match the fork to frame soon and mount it.

Re:

This is pretty cool. Kent Erikson's original custom order/sizing sheets for the Mountaineer :cool:

Re:

Some success and possible failure.

Crank Woes: The chain stays on the Moots are huge. This creates all sorts of crank fit problems. It basically adds 8-10mm in spindle width which messes with the alignment screwing up your range. Anyway. I want to use this TA cyclotouriste. If not I'm machining some deer heads like Erickson did.

Original brakes with 3 plus decades of crap on them. Cleaned and re-rebuilt with fancy pads.

The original Magura levers. The rubbers are great so I'm going to either polish them or get them re-anodized black.

Great project, I love these early Moots, pretty rare.
As are those Moots mounts, I tried to find a set for years, no luck...

Re:

Cool project for sure. Little bit more complicated than I expected.

I need to adjust the Moots mounts on the rear for the roller cams. I'll soak the heck out of them before I do. I'd be gutted to damaged them.

Time to check the line again for a Moots fork. I had a nibble a few weeks back ;)

Re:

Paint matched the fork to the frame. Looks a bit flat at dusk, but it's about as close as you could get ... just need to figure out how to age it 35 years ;)

Back