1994 Fat Chance Titanium Garage Find

sriracha

Dirt Disciple
Found in a garage, I was able to track down the original owner and obtain ownership of a 1994 Fat Chance Titanium. It needs a restoration and some new parts.

Here is the garage find, in the condition that I found it:

94FatChanceTi1.jpg

Re:

It's a M/L size, measuring 18" center of bottom bracket to center of toptube.

Decals seem to be in decent shape:

94FatChanceTi8.jpg

94FatChanceTi6.jpg

94FatChanceTi9.jpg

Re:

Some of the parts have seen better days.

Kooka brakes are seized to the bars. Honestly, they feel terrible. I will probably replace them.
94FatChanceTi12.jpg

Grafton brakes. One pair has a crack and mushroom head surrounding the bushing. 50% survival rate:
94FatChanceTi5.jpg

I've been warned that these Grafton cranks will crack. That's unfortunate as they look pretty nice. The BB still has smooth bearings.
94FatChanceTi2.jpg

The stem is way too long for my taste:
94FatChanceTi11.jpg

Re:

XTR derailleurs feel pretty tight and smooth, still.

94FatChanceTi3.jpg

94FatChanceTi4.jpg

At first, the XTR shifter pods felt like they were stripped. Turns out it was 30 year old grease clogging the ratchet pawls and not allowing them to return to their position. Half a can of degreaser and they are shifting crisply through the gears:
94FatChanceTi13.jpg

Ringle Super Bubba front hub is a nice touch. The rear hub is a mismatched XT hub. I'm guessing the original rear Ringle cracked and needed to be replaced?
94FatChanceTi7.jpg

Re:

In the long run, I would like to source a proper rigid fork, but in the meantime I have plans for a place holder.

Currently being rebuilt with new dust/oil seals and topcaps, I plan to install this 1996 Marzocchi Z2, limited edition blue with rare disc brake tabs and upgraded 1998 forged/machined brace...and yes, shock boots:

Marzocchi1.jpg

I love that shock. I have a Z2 bam on my trek 6700 slr. It's black with white and red lettering. Such a smooth ride.

Good find, im just off into the garage to see if i can find something nice :)

And everything has the potential to crack, even that frame. The fact that most other components are cracked/seized, and the crank is still ok, says something.

Mark

progress:

FatChanceTi1.jpg

...the tires were just laying around in my stash of bike parks. They are temporary until I make some decisions.

Latest posts

Back