Kona Explosif 1997 team edition

Re: Kona Explosif 1997 team edition: Fairfax adventure (P1:cool:

al-onestare":6aldwf3u said:
Little ad-lib on the Fairfax adventure. Here's something you absolutely don't want to find when you unpack a bike either end:

CH1BxU.jpg

Thank goodness a) the box uses US approved locks (which means security can open them without breaking them) and b) they took notice of my little 'please be careful' note I left on the top of the packing in case it was opened. They did such a good job putting it back (or leaving it) together that I didn't notice it had been opened at all, hence my surprise when this popped out in-between the packing material at the weekend.

So they didn't find the contraband after all, eh? :)

Re:

I finally had time today to rebuild the Explosif after the Fairfax adventure; life has been pretty hectic to say the least. In fleeting moments I'd seen the chain was on the verge of breaking, so I fitted another new SRAM 8 speed. The top-cap is shot: 20 year old plastic gave up the ghost even before it engaged with the stem! So I need a new one. Any ideas? I'd like it to be black, metallic of some nature. It doesn't have to be of the era but it should compliment the build.

I can't wait to fit this beauty for it's show-off shots. I've kept the other one as that'll be the rider saddle now :D

j1v1Mx.jpg

If anyone has a red label one please hit me up!

Re: Kona Explosif 1997 team edition: tinkering P20

Epic build thread Al yours are always top but this one takes the biscuit. Chuffed to bits for you!

Cheers man. I'll defo be heading over to Swinley when it warms up, with this. I'll eat that course up for breakfast.

Show saddle fitted and I managed to team her up for a shot with my other unicorn, yes, unicorns really do exist ;)

I'm not happy with the headset though. It's too creaky, even after the restoration so I'm leaning back to the tried and tested Chris King I usually use unless anyone has any good alternatives with a lower stack.

The difference in weight is notable, especially on the rear. I'll put that down to the stays (Columbus Max vs. unknown chromoly), the wheels and cassette.

3ze4Xh.jpg

1rkxmd.jpg

Re:

As I wait for a better, smooth headset to arrive, Ryder posted a brilliant throwback picture not too long ago.

Anthony, many moons ago, made an comment that some of the team riders favoured aluminium bikes. Indeed, take a look at the catalogues in the era and you'll see at least half on Kula's. Also check out the MBUK stuff I uploaded a coupled of years ago to see just how favoured the 97 Kula was. I'm not surprised; it was well spec'ed, looked great and rode really well.

In fact, it was so good, Ryder rode one.

Lb4hup.jpg

Whether he had much choice around this time is another matter. Technically he was in the b-squad but moved to the a-team quickly, where, I suspect, he could start choosing what he wanted to ride as opposed to using whatever was available.

That riding position makes my back hurt just looking at it!

Back