Build Thread. Bigfoot E-Stay

JohnMarin_77

Old School Hero
Hello all,

I found this site about a year ago. It reignited my old interest in bikes and I have enjoyed trawling through all the posts about parts I used to dream about in the mid 90s

A little while ago I became the owner of a frame that I thought was the coolest thing in the world. I used to hang around a bike shop in Gloucester and a chap there (Graham 'Big' Foot) made / sold those frames. I see he posts here and a few people know him. Top chap!

Anyway, the frame arrived and I had a change of heart ... this wasn't just a dalliance, this was a full on affair. This wasn't going to be a thing to tinker with and cast aside, this was a piece of engineering to be cherished, embraced and ridden. With my new found enthusiasm I decided to send the frame (powder coated silver) to Reality Motors to be stripped and polished. A slipping rivnut has been sorted out and the drop out stripped and polished mirror smooth

So, here are the pictures of my new frame. Ready for a whole bunch of 90s tech to readorn it. I would love some input on colour schemes, potential parts and advice generally. I know there are a few already with these lurking around - all thoughts are welcome.

I have a virtually full set of xtr I can hang off it. I need some nice cranks. I have some purple bits from an old Marin but I kind of want to steer away from 3dv. I was thinking bits. Or perhaps everything silver. I would like to get my hands on a really nice silver seatpost.

I can't decide on forks. This is the place I would perhaps go more modern so as to get something more reliable. But then again I do love RC35s. It's just the carbon fibre look that I loved as a kid.

RBers, engage with me and give me your ideas, sell me your cheap bits and lend me wisdom as I build a bike I couldn't obtain when I was 17!

Cheers all
John.

Ps. What does the 4592 mean? Built in 92?

Attachments

• IMG_0014.JPG
    IMG_0014.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 735
  • IMG_0015.JPG
    IMG_0015.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 735
  • IMG_0016.JPG
    IMG_0016.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 735
Re:

Just a brief update. I have bought some xtr cranks but need an appropriate bottom bracket.

I also came across a set of rc35s which need some more work but seem in good order but for the elastomers.

Graham Foot says the number means built in early 92, possibly 4 May.

I have made a complete Horlicks of buying some parts and I have thrown away the crucial part of some shifters and appear to have broken another set by fiddling with them.

I bought a ringle H2O in silver only to find that it can't bolt on due to the estays being in the way

And I bought a 95 Ozone Smokestone frame which game me the RC35s and some xtr cantis.

It's been a frustrating and great fun few months. Soon I will have a bike shaped object. And it all cost less than a new coat for my wife!

Re: Re:

JohnMarin_77":2a6e7bid said:
I bought a ringle H2O in silver only to find that it can't bolt on due to the estays being in the way

Feel into that trap myself with an Ozone.

Latest posts

Back