Build Thread. Bigfoot E-Stay

JohnMarin_77

Old School Hero
Hello all,

I found this site about a year ago. It reignited my old interest in bikes and I have enjoyed trawling through all the posts about parts I used to dream about in the mid 90s

A little while ago I became the owner of a frame that I thought was the coolest thing in the world. I used to hang around a bike shop in Gloucester and a chap there (Graham 'Big' Foot) made / sold those frames. I see he posts here and a few people know him. Top chap!

Anyway, the frame arrived and I had a change of heart ... this wasn't just a dalliance, this was a full on affair. This wasn't going to be a thing to tinker with and cast aside, this was a piece of engineering to be cherished, embraced and ridden. With my new found enthusiasm I decided to send the frame (powder coated silver) to Reality Motors to be stripped and polished. A slipping rivnut has been sorted out and the drop out stripped and polished mirror smooth

So, here are the pictures of my new frame. Ready for a whole bunch of 90s tech to readorn it. I would love some input on colour schemes, potential parts and advice generally. I know there are a few already with these lurking around - all thoughts are welcome.

I have a virtually full set of xtr I can hang off it. I need some nice cranks. I have some purple bits from an old Marin but I kind of want to steer away from 3dv. I was thinking bits. Or perhaps everything silver. I would like to get my hands on a really nice silver seatpost.

I can't decide on forks. This is the place I would perhaps go more modern so as to get something more reliable. But then again I do love RC35s. It's just the carbon fibre look that I loved as a kid.

RBers, engage with me and give me your ideas, sell me your cheap bits and lend me wisdom as I build a bike I couldn't obtain when I was 17!

Cheers all
John.

Ps. What does the 4592 mean? Built in 92?

Attachments

• IMG_0014.JPG
    IMG_0014.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 735
  • IMG_0015.JPG
    IMG_0015.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 735
  • IMG_0016.JPG
    IMG_0016.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 735
Re:

Just a brief update. I have bought some xtr cranks but need an appropriate bottom bracket.

I also came across a set of rc35s which need some more work but seem in good order but for the elastomers.

Graham Foot says the number means built in early 92, possibly 4 May.

I have made a complete Horlicks of buying some parts and I have thrown away the crucial part of some shifters and appear to have broken another set by fiddling with them.

I bought a ringle H2O in silver only to find that it can't bolt on due to the estays being in the way

And I bought a 95 Ozone Smokestone frame which game me the RC35s and some xtr cantis.

It's been a frustrating and great fun few months. Soon I will have a bike shaped object. And it all cost less than a new coat for my wife!

Re: Re:

JohnMarin_77":2a6e7bid said:
I bought a ringle H2O in silver only to find that it can't bolt on due to the estays being in the way

Feel into that trap myself with an Ozone.

Back