Stolen dream bike found 26 years later? Fat Chance (TC)!

Re:

I kept the signed maker's card and receipt and posters it came with initially but somehow over the last 26 years I have lost track of it. Still digging through old boxes of papers though because I would love to find it!

Re: Dream Bike Stolen - Found 26 Years Later? Fat Chance (TC)!!!

He bought it for the Syncros stem. Slam dunk as to what to put in a care package.

Re:

shamobius wrote:
Amazingly I have almost everything I will need already tucked away.

It's almost as if ii was pre-ordained that you would be re-united with your dream bike :D A brilliant story with an even more brilliant ending to come when you've finally restored it. I look forward to it :D

I'm VERY late to the party, but have finally caught up on this thread. Such a fantastic tale - can't wait to see the restoration :-D

Re:

Wow, that is quite the story. I'm glad you found the bike - I wish it was in better condition for you. Unfortunately it looks like its seen a lot of hard use since it was pinched. I'm looking forward to the restoration.

I got an email from the post office today; my Fat had arrived... :shock:

20170307_144700 by shamalama88, on Flickr

That grin has been plastered on my face ever since! Driving home Bill Haley's 'Rock Around the Clock' came on my playlist, a fitting time machine song indeed...

I poured a scotch and took my time opening the box.

17198042_10155027662169400_2127376632_n by shamalama88, on Flickr

The first thing I saw were the wheels, and I was instantly taken back in time when I saw the red cloth tape I had used as rim tape 28 years ago! When I tested the bearings I could feel they were a little rough, but I rummaged through my tool box and pulled out this little kit, which I have held on to all these years...

17160161_10155027671664400_933649285_n by shamalama88, on Flickr

Then I pulled out the stem that Phil had bought the frame for in the first place; a beautiful first generation Syncros cattleprod. I remember ordering that stem direct from Syncros. At the time they were just getting started, and the stems were hugely popular, and they struggled to keep up with demand. For the first few months I had the bike it had a Tioga T-bone stem as I waited for the cattleprod. Mine only ever had the Syncros badge on the front of the stem, no 'syncros' decals on the sides. At any rate a previous owner had managed to mash a riser bar into the stem. I opened up the gap by reversing the bolts with a shim in the space, but it was deforming the stem more than I was comfortable with, so I just got out the hacksaw and handled business...

20170307_152358 by shamalama88, on Flickr

20170307_151324 by shamalama88, on Flickr

And here is a picture of the frame and fork, out of the box:

20170307_160348 by shamalama88, on Flickr

Once I had the bike out, I started looking it over carefully. First I was hoping to find some of the original paint. I couldn't find any of the blue (maybe once I pull the headset), but inside the fork's steerer tube I could plainly see the original green paint. 100% confirmed, my Team Comp!

20170307_155121 by shamalama88, on Flickr

A few more detail pics:

20170307_155404 by shamalama88, on Flickr

20170307_155544 by shamalama88, on Flickr

20170307_155446 by shamalama88, on Flickr

I know that the frame looks rough, but I was floored; after a close head to tail inspection I could not find a single dent, ding, or gouge. And though the paint is in rough shape, and of course there are lots of rusty spots, it really appears to be superficial damage. Even the inside of the seat tube looks decent. It appears that all I need at this point is a relatively straightforward strip, rust treatment, and re-paint. Unbelievable!

Latest posts

Back