Stolen dream bike found 26 years later? Fat Chance (TC)!

Re: Dream Bike Stolen - Found 26 Years Later? Fat Chance (TC)!!!

Superb story - fingers crossed the shipping handler Gods shine on you and your steed :)

No updates on the shipping status of the Fat yet today, so I thought I would post some more pics of the frame's current condition. I've got some serious rust mitigation work ahead!

Too bad about the cracked seatpost saddle 'yoke' piece. Replaceable though, and I will re-anodize the faded post as well, wanting to keep as many original components as possible. It looks like the seatpost is not seized at least, judging by all the grease I see there. I wonder if I can salvage the original American Classic seatpost quick release? Hopefully the headset and bottom bracket are still okay.

The poor bike had its brake bosses spray painted as well, and never cleaned up. Couldn't have done the braking performance any favours.

I chuckle at the Kona decal, about the most unlikely brand imaginable for this horizontal top tubed frame!

16837941_710628412452519_748430144_n by shamalama88, on Flickr

16830475_710628385785855_1260556828_n by shamalama88, on Flickr

16830456_710628402452520_1884971003_n by shamalama88, on Flickr

16810907_710628389119188_1418800589_o by shamalama88, on Flickr

16810769_710628409119186_1001603227_o by shamalama88, on Flickr

16810507_710628392452521_1348870710_o by shamalama88, on Flickr

16809952_710628422452518_2074473539_n by shamalama88, on Flickr

16911032_710628395785854_550592474_o by shamalama88, on Flickr

Re:

HOLY SHIATE is all I can say about this! :shock:

first the return of your Manitou and now this Fat! WoW!

Yeah its mental Frank, two years ago I never thought I'd ever see either of these bikes again. The internet CAN be used for good, not just evil!

Talked to Mark this afternoon, box should be shipped tomorrow... :shock:

Re:

Repro 1st Gen Syncros post parts can be found here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=332892

I have a Dura ace 'Arabesque' silver headset from the late 80s and a bearing type front mech pulley wheel which im happy to donate to the cause if you need them ;)

Thank you M-power very generous offer! I don't want to get ahead of myself yet, let's wait until I get the frame and parts. Supposedly the headset is still smooth, it may be okay with a good polishing. I can't remember if the original pulley wheel had bearings, though I would imagine it did/does, hopefully all it needs is some fresh grease. A trading partner of mine has offered up some yellow sis housing. I have a 1st generation Syncros donor post I can steal parts from. Amazingly I have almost everything I will need already tucked away. Ground Control 'S' tires will be a challenge to track down...

Re:

Ive totally enjoyed reading this thread!

and i was curios to ask, if your bike had not been stolen would you still have it? and would you have lusted over it less if it had naturally moved on.

i had a kona come back to me after nearly 10 years, i had it all repainted and running, after a year i sold it. was some sort of odd closure.

looking forward to seeing the finished artical.

Re: Re:

kase1983":37umz02o said:
Ive totally enjoyed reading this thread!

and i was curios to ask, if your bike had not been stolen would you still have it? and would you have lusted over it less if it had naturally moved on.

i had a kona come back to me after nearly 10 years, i had it all repainted and running, after a year i sold it. was some sort of odd closure.

looking forward to seeing the finished artical.

That's a great question, one I have pondered myself. I know that back then I rode bikes that were probably a size smaller than what would be considered proper fit. We rode really technical rocky terrain, almost trials riding, and as a group we felt that smaller bikes were better. So now as a 'mature' cyclist, my frames have gone up to sizes that fit more comfortably. But for shorter rides on tight singletrack I can still do a small frame.

At any rate there is no way I would have sold this bike, ever. I would likely have gotten a bike or two to accompany it, so that I had bikes suitable for a wider variety of rides. And now that I have a nice vintage collection, it may not even be my favourite (blasphemy!). Also, it appears to have been ridden hard, and must have thousands of kilometers on it, so the steel may have lost some of its vim and vigour. But I'm okay with that. Like a long lost pet that comes home filthy, bedraggled, half-starved and lame; it may never be what it once was, but you love it even more for finding its way back home...

Re:

Have to say, this is one of those stories that just gets you 'right there'. Truly inspiring, humbling, mesmerising and exciting, all at the same time!

Best of luck with the whole thing, think I've said that further back in the thread, but it bears repeating, though I don't think you'll need luck, looks like you're made of it! :cool: :cool:

Re:

Get her home, back together and first chance you get put it in for BoTM. I dont think you'll come in 2nd that time Shamus the feel good-karma votes alone...

Latest posts

Back