Stolen dream bike found 26 years later? Fat Chance (TC)!

Re: Dream Bike Stolen - Found 26 Years Later? Fat Chance (TC)!!!

This is where the story takes on a 'restores your faith in humanity' angle. Keep your hankies handy! Sniff.

Phil then tells me that he wants me to have the bike (and parts) back, and that the previous owner of the bike wants me to have the wheels (and original XT brakes) back as well. Not only that, but after Phil told his local bike shop, Cyclesmith Halifax, about the story they agreed to box up the frame and wheels free of charge. All I have to pay is the shipping! Are you kidding me? I couldn't believe it. As of this morning I am just waiting on payment instructions, and the bike could be shipped out to me at any time. Here is a transcript from Phil:

"Hey, good morning! At some point I need a shipping address. I'm swinging by Pat's place (the guy with the wheels) today to collect. He's pretty stoked to be part of the reunion story and wants to give you the wheels. I'll take the shebang to my LBS and see if they'll hop on the band wagon and do a pro job of boxing it all up. Shipping options are your call. I can handle the arrangements and you can email me a money transfer for the actual costs, or if you prefer, you can arrange pick up and payment from the shop. Neither Pat nor I want anything in return for this... it just seems like the right thing to do. And obviously everyone is interested in seeing how things turn out. I appreciate all the nice things people are saying, but I'm sure everyone associated with FatCogs would do the same. Pat is not a FC nut, but he's a solid, solid guy and shop rat. He's pretty entrenched in the bike community here, working retail and volunteer coop gigs as a wrench. I only know him through some mutual friends and now of course this little saga. If the bike was a perfect fit for me and had I already put significant cash into it, I hope I'd still do the right thing! Also, I hope the bike doesn't let you down -- we sometimes romanticize a notion so much, the reality can't live up to the nostalgia. I'm really rooting for this project to be satisfying for you. Cheers, P."

and later:

"Btw, just leaving Cyclesmith Halifax. The owner, Mark Beaver, is the builder behind Tamarack Cycles, my custom rando rig. His opinion is that the frame is sound and can definitely be restored. I'm not sure it can be a show bike, but I'm positive you will enjoy having it. Pat's last name is Ryan. I don't think he's on FB. He was genuinely pleased to hear the story and glad to return the wheels and cantis. Everything else seems to be replacements."

"Mark is packing for shipment. He has a Canpar account and can offer a 20% discount if you like, or we can do Canada Post. I'll let you know cost as soon as I find out."

16832325_711214912393869_2673161876515215018_n by shamalama88, on Flickr

16830662_711214979060529_225788374185611200_n by shamalama88, on Flickr

16681695_711214842393876_4382088729513406055_n by shamalama88, on Flickr

Needless to say I am blown away by the generosity of Phil, Pat and Mark. I have offered Phil a frame in trade for my Fat, but he told me he is trying to whittle down his collection (aren't we all ;)), and he also didn't want to accept any money. He is all about the bike karma.

The King of Bike Karma!

Of course I will be sending him a care package, whether he wants it or not. Just have to figure out what that will include...

YES YES YES awesome love it
Well I for one will be looking forward to the build thread on this not because of what it is but how it's come about. :D :D :D

Re:

Flippin', flippin' brilliant. One of the best stories I've ever read on here, and I don't normally feel emotionally involved enough in the outcome to bother commenting, so that's saying something!

Absolutely best of luck with all of it, a truly amazing and inspiring tale :cool:

Fantastic.

Maybe my Raleigh Burner will one day return, the last bit of my paper round that day was tough.

This is such an amazing story!
To have the frame back after all this time, to even track it down, is exceptional. But to get the original wheels back too?! That's really something else! It's going to be a special build and not just because it was a damn handsome bike in those early pics. The kindness and decency of Phil and Cyclesmith Halifax is humbling. Watching with great interest!

Amazing story, so happy for you. You never know, I might one day drop across my stolen Kona (although I somewhat doubt it would be badly disguised as a Fat Chance!)

Back