1994 Raleigh M-Trax 2000 - Part Deux

Re:

So today was its first proper ride out since being reborn.
I rode it down to the coast and here is it outside a hipster trendy coffee shop near Brighton (its natural habitat I assume :) )

Conclusions:
1) The drive train / gear shifting is sublime. Super quiet and shifts instantly and smoothly.
Compared to my modern bike (SRAM XX) it actually feels 'buttery' (eg: no harsh clicks or grinding from the chain etc).

2) Its really, really, REALLY uncomfortable. !
The stem seems to be about 150mm long, the bars are flat (and I mean FLAT) and the geometry means that you are constantly riding stretched out to the point where it difficult to look where you are going, and all the pressure is on the underneath of your 'willy' (penis).
No wonder I left it sat outside for 12 years or so :)

Anyway, I have found the original bar ends (as seen in the catalogue image below) in the shed, and so may put them on it to see if that makes it easier to ride.
If this doesn't work then I may have no choice but to put on a shorter stem and some riser bars (which I have in the shed also). But I guess that then takes away from the retro side of it :(
Who knew that this retro scene could cause such angst :)

Re:

Were the originally grips ribbed rubber (oo-er!)? I think I have s set that have had the ends trimmed off to fit bar ends.

SP

Re: Re:

Splatter Paint":39vqf2ti said:
Were the originally grips ribbed rubber (oo-er!)? I think I have s set that have had the ends trimmed off to fit bar ends.

SP
Yes. Black and fairly soft to the touch ( oooer).

Re:

I just checked mine, I believe the originals were oval profile with some sort of lettering down the middle, these are round and pretty manky too. Sorry, I thought they might be the correct ones.

Re: Re:

Splatter Paint":vy5olxl3 said:
I just checked mine, I believe the originals were oval profile with some sort of lettering down the middle, these are round and pretty manky too. Sorry, I thought they might be the correct ones.
no worries.. thanks anyway... appreciated

I have fixed 80% of the discomfort issues.

The seat hadn't been secured properly , I must have missed the final 'tightening of bolts' after the initial build.
This meant that it has tilted back at an alarming angle ... I didn't notice until I went to ride it again today.
Now the seat has been set correctly, it tips me slightly forward which in turn makes me less stretched out, and also transfers the weight from my crotch and onto the bars.
No more sore under willy .. and much more comfortable to ride.

Cowhorn end bars are still going on tomorrow though... as it is original innit ! :)

Good stuff. The bar ends will stretch you a bit more but are nice for a change of position and good on climbs. You might find you need a shorter stem eventually but give it a few rides. Shorter stem can make quite a difference even if you keep the flat bars - I would cos they look cool.

By the way, you'll likely need to cut down your grips to fit bar ends. If you still have the lock-ons you can remove one 'lock' and they should be fine.

jonthefish":3hmg0ft4 said:
Good stuff. The bar ends will stretch you a bit more but are nice for a change of position and good on climbs. You might find you need a shorter stem eventually but give it a few rides. Shorter stem can make quite a difference even if you keep the flat bars - I would cos they look cool.

By the way, you'll likely need to cut down your grips to fit bar ends. If you still have the lock-ons you can remove one 'lock' and they should be fine.

Hmmmm. I have a new short stem (40mm), and some wide hi rise bars..... but i am quite proud of how original the bike is. Putting new kit on it with further 'de retro' it.

I think with some tweakung of the saddle and the bar ends to change my hand position, then it should become just comortable enough to ignore given it looks so original.

I have even found some old school pedals.

Aye. 40mm would be way too short. You reckoned your stem was about 150mm? If so, going down to 120 or 110 mm in nice retro style while retaining your original bars would make it feel quite different without loosing the look. But get some miles in first and above all enjoy it. cheers.

Back