Newcastles finest bike shops,Denton Cycles and M.Steels

Re: Re:

k-rod":3lfi3svl said:
fingers crossed for you - it really is a gorgeous bike!

Cheers K-rod It's got a clean look to it with no fussy graphics,that's my favourite of the bike.
They said the bb is designed for damaged frames or threads so should do the trick.

Re:

What happened to the Yates in the end then?

Miss the early 90s in the north east...spoilt for choice...M.Steel, Denton and then Hardistys up in Byker was a regular Saturday morning tour on the metro :D

Re: Re:

Antstark":3lwczhpq said:
What happened to the Yates in the end then?

Miss the early 90s in the north east...spoilt for choice...M.Steel, Denton and then Hardistys up in Byker was a regular Saturday morning tour on the metro :D

Aye it was class back then if you were into your bikes.
Are Saturday bike ride was from the coast upto Willington Quay to point pleasant to have a neb what was happening at Dave Yates. Then off to Hardistys,this was when it was a tiny shop after that onto Dentons to look at all the bikes you couldnt afford :LOL:
After that a ride to M.Steels in south gosforth to look at more bikes we couldn't afford then a nice ride home with a bag full of catalogues,no wonder i was fit as a fiddle back then :D

As for my Yates it's just chilling in the loft at the minute while i hatch a plan :)
I nearly sold it to Simon,sorry Si but i know you understand mate why i couldn't part with it :)
But when we were discussing that Si sent Dave Yates a photo of the bike and the serial number to get some info.
He showed me what they wrote back and it turns out it's definately a 1992 Diabolo,which made us think maybe this is the bike that Dave Yates got the idea from for the colour scheme on the DONKISNOB which came out in 1993.
It'd be pretty cool if it was :D
So i'm going to get a load of photos done of it and fire them off to him when i get some time and see if i can jog his memory a bit. I'm sure he wouldn't forget a customer request for a custom paint job like that which would've cost a fortune,maybe it has 753 tubing aswell which was a customer option at the time,might explain the hole in the chainstay :cry:

Re:

Good luck with the very black threadless BB. It will be nice to see that beauty rideable again.

If you want a more posh & period correct solution, the old Mavic BBs also used a threadless design, but the closest spindle length to 122.5 was 124mm.

May I ask what happened to the skinwall Michelin Wildgripper tires? I need a pair for a very French project bike.

Cheers,
The Kid

Back