1994 Raleigh M-Trax 2000 - Part Deux

silky666

Dirt Disciple
Hello from 2011 (this was the last time I posted) :)
My last, and only post, was to show you my old MTrax 2000.
Since then it has languished in the shed and been used sparingly. Although it has been taken on the Surrey Hills trails when my main bike has unexpectedly let me down, and actually rode/faired really well.

Recently I was fortunate enough to be gifted a rather fancy 2011 Specialized SWorks Carbon Stumpjumper.
This meant that my old hardtail Rockhopper could be sold on.
On receiving the fancy Stumpy I soon realised that it would be foolish to use it for rides into town etc, as the carbon parts on it alone are worth a fortune. and it would get stolen.

So, I decided to resurrect the old MTrax as its the perfetc bike for pooping to the shops and leaving locked up.
I will add a few pics at the bottom. But I do actually have some questions and comments regarding the 'retroness' of the bike.

1) After removing every part , cleaning, lubing/greasing etc .. and then putting it all back together again, I am still amazed how well this bike rides (on the street). The shifting is flawless and so smooth. and everything just works beautifully.

On that note, I am sure that if my expensive Sworks was left outside and neglected as this has (sat by side of a shed for 12 years) then it wouldn't even be rideable or fixable. So long live the old school technology :)

2) How acceptable is it to put modern parts on the bike ? The seat was trashed, so I replaced it with a modern one. and I have also put on lockon grips , modern tyres, and platform pedals.
What is the general opinion ? should I put on some different grips and tyres etc ?

3) The paintwork is generally good. But the stickers have flaked . Should I just remove the remains, or can you get replacement ones ?
I kinda like the 'used' look of it though !

Cleaned and ready for assembly:

Even the head bearings cleaned up nicely
:

Supplied by Pearsons in Sutton, and I still have the receipt somewhere:

Nearly Finished. Looks nice without any cables etc :

Finished Bike - Now stored in a dry garage and will be looked after I promise :) :

If the peeling decals don't bother you leave 'em. I like a bit of patina on a bike. Wonder if you could lacquer the edges to stop it getting worse? Someone on here will know.

My three retros all have one or two more modern bits. Finding period correct tyres for a bike that is for riding isn't going to be easy or cheap. That's a nice looking bike and I wouldn't be worrying about a few modern parts - ride and enjoy.

Re:

That looks really nice :cool:
I have a ti 1000 from the same sort of year and it rides beautifully.

Paul

jonthefish":dor1u390 said:
If the peeling decals don't bother you leave 'em. I like a bit of patina on a bike. Wonder if you could lacquer the edges to stop it getting worse? Someone on here will know.

My three retros all have one or two more modern bits. Finding period correct tyres for a bike that is for riding isn't going to be easy or cheap. That's a nice looking bike and I wouldn't be worrying about a few modern parts - ride and enjoy.

Yeah i quite like the originality of the fading transfers. And good to hear that a few minor new parts dont ruin the bike.
Just thought i better check with you retro guys.

Thanks for the nice comments
]

Re: Re:

shinobi":3vukwqm1 said:
That looks really nice :cool:
I have a ti 1000 from the same sort of year and it rides beautifully.

Paul

Thanks. Its amazing how well they ride given the age huh :)

Re: Re:

cherrybomb":12rw13g7 said:
That's a beauty. Scrubbed up really well.

Thanks. I love it. Its a stark contrast to my uber trick sworks mtb. I love the fact it looks so simple

Need some suggestions around the grips though. The lock on ones are way too modern.
Where can i get some 1995 era ones ?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Latest posts

Back