1991 Diamond Back Axis - long term wishlist.

minor_LEGEND

Senior Retro Guru
A quick back story. When I was 11 or so I knew a guy called Barry, he was a pretty cool guy, he had the expensive Troop trainers, & the baggiest shell suit too. So when his choice of bike was a Diamond Back Apex, the one with smokey paint & Deore DX STI, I was rather smitten with the brand tbh. Fast forward a few years, my own MTB's had succumed to theft or wear & tear from my endless pedalling my folks were in a position to buy me a bike better suited to the local trails & races I was doing. When asked in 1992 what bike I wanted I replied a DB Axis. It wasn't the 91 like I lusted after for so long in the bike shop window the year earlier, but what my parents actually stretched to was an Apex. Awesome times!
So this here build is the bike that I couldn't even have, back in 1992 in more ways than one.

It's taken 7 years of searching for something the right size, in reasonable condition, at a sensible price, but eventually in November the planets aligned and this frameset became mine for a nice price. On arrival I was pleasantly surprised at the condition of the frame, it's paint & graphics etc. I was prepared to completely repaint with new decals etc but this is definitely falling in favour of remaining original - (for now) I might tap up Gil for new decals, certainly not looking forward to removing the existing ones!

The pics are with a b/b chucked in to test for axle length & the wheels are also correct for this bike which was a stroke of luck picking them up so easily from this forum.

Plans are to rebuild it to close to standard spec. Allowing for a couple subtle changes/upgrades. Parts that can't be found or I don't wish to fit. Namely saddle & the Tioga T-bone stem (as much as I love Tioga stuff). It probably won't run Smoke tyres at either end as per catalogue spec.

Most of the parts are with me now, so this should roll along fairly quickly after I've removed the headset & properly cleaned/detailed the frame & installed the new headset.
Thanks for reading, better pics in future hopefully. Craig.

Re:

Good score, I was really after this on eBay too and was sniped at the last second :? :D Was already built in my head :facepalm:

It's been on here before this frame and always looks good built up.

Enjoy...... :cool:

Re:

Now that's cool. :cool:

I know what you mean about being hesitant about removing the original decals. My 92 Response frame could ideally do with some new ones, but they are over a matt spatter paint job. :?

So are the wheels XT or XTR hubs?

Re: Re:

chrisv40":147h9z2l said:
Is that my old one?

Alright Chris I believe this is, looking at your build pics, this has the same flaw to the down tube graphics. It's a small world! I have many pics from your thread saved to my gallery & I even replied in your thread commenting how great it looked.

Rest assured she's in good hands. I've just spent an evening polishing the XT fr mech & headset cable hanger. I have also ground down & polished some new stainless fasteners for the mech clamp bolt & the STI shifter/lever mountings.

Re:

Ah I'm so glad its getting some love again. I didn't realise it was you who'd won it on ebay.

Re:

Cool, nice to see another one out there!, signing up for progress and good luck with it.

Back