Little 14" Kona project for my daughter

Never updated this thread, apologies. I've had this up and running for a while with the manitou 4s but the elastomers are shot so I resurected a set of 1998 RS sids which had awful paintwork. Cut down some old race face cranks too. Went modern with the gearing and fitted a spare zee 1x10 setup, have a narrow wide CX ring coming soon. Bikes great, ignore the horrible red pedals. They do the job but are the wrong colour! Never changed the seatpost but itsbeen fine.

BD167791-C307-470F-8C6A-7C01FC4D4E2E_zps9gnso2ge.jpg

49A6BAB7-A58E-4A39-AD91-B25DDE06179D_zpsncowzg2v.jpg

Re:

Hi
This looks great
I am building something similar for my son
Can I ask what length the cranks are?

Many thanks
Malcolm

Hi Malcolm,

They were 175mm, I went down to around 150mm... there was a perfect flat area on the drive side at this point but he non-dribe side the cranks taper inwards too early so I made (read bodged) a thin wedge spacer so the pedal has something to tighten against. Was lucky enough to have the cranks lying around and fit only for the bin before this; did destroy a cheap set of shimano cranks playing though.
If I'd have wanted to spend money I junk I'd have bought 140mm ones, they're out there but 50-60+ unless they're made of iron and could be used as anchors!

Re:

Hi kev

Thanks mate
The cranks I have get too narrow at 150mm
Will have to keep a eye out for a short set or something to modify

Many thanks
Malcolm

Re:

Thought I'd update this thread with a couple of pics of this in use.
She loves the bike, it's quick and even though it's a relatively light build it's pretty capable too.

Eyeing up to pick a line/build up confidence to give it a go (I honestly didn't think she'd go for it):

Bot%20bike%201_zpsll9atej9.jpg

Actually giving it a go:

That's ace! Silly question, how does she find it? Clearly pretty good if she's riding drop off's like that.

She loves it, although the feedback from a 9 year old isn't always going to be perfect; she's not complained about anything and seems happy to ride decent distance and jump on it as often as possible, she seems very confident on it too. I never found a decent post for it so have turned it round to put the seat slightly forward of the post centre as she was slightly stretched on it. She was on a 20" wheel bike before this so it rolls loads better and is lighter than the old bike. The old SIDs can be setup really soft as well, so they're perfect for her (even if they're slightly past their best) but I know of a very nice pair of Fox 80s that might make their way onto the bike. VBrakes are light to use so she's happy with them and the gears I went modernish with 1x10 and a narrow wide ring and clutch mech to keep it simple.

She wants to do jumps but I think we're a bit off that yet. Skids and drops to start with!
I really need to get my 5 yr olds newer Kona a little lighter, but I'm struggling without spending a fortune on it; the basics have been done though and he's enjoying it:

Kevhl":1bywp8od said:
Hi Malcolm,

They were 175mm, I went down to around 150mm... there was a perfect flat area on the drive side at this point but he non-dribe side the cranks taper inwards too early so I made (read bodged) a thin wedge spacer so the pedal has something to tighten against. Was lucky enough to have the cranks lying around and fit only for the bin before this; did destroy a cheap set of shimano cranks playing though.
If I'd have wanted to spend money I junk I'd have bought 140mm ones, they're out there but 50-60+ unless they're made of iron and could be used as anchors!
That bike looks awesome. I've been after some 140-150mm cranks for Junior Rouleur's 24" baby Zaskar. As it happens, I have some spare RaceFace Turbine cranks, but not the tools or skills to cut them down.

For anyone else interested, SJS have some short Thorn cranks (both 4 and 5 arm at 104/64 and 110/74 BCD). I've also seen some Stronglight Kids around. All new cranks, not too pricey or heavy, and mostly look suitable retro.

In the end I went for the 104BCD 4 arms in black as they matched a 32T narrow wide chainring I already had.

Back