Pace RC100 project

Re:

That's a bit of shame :(

Alloy doesn't like bending back an forth like steel so I'd be extremely wary of trying to straighten it like that (more likely to finish it off once and for all!) . Best to leave it alone if I was you and either use it for the odd gentle ride or, dare I say it, garage queen? :?

Re:

Alloy doesn't like bending back an forth like steel so I'd be extremely wary of trying to straighten it like that (more likely to finish it off once and for all!)

Yeah, reached that conclusion pretty quickly... :D

Problem is that it's going to need plenty of money spending on, so it's got to be right... Lets hope a solution can be found.

Re:

Get them metal masters like Damson to have a try at it.
It's amazingly off by naff all but enough to be visible.

What 231's? CD's I assume? Anything else needed?

Of course if the front and back wheels are pointing along the same line and the rear is straight with the bottom bracket. Then what happens in the front triangle, as long as the head tube is vertical, doesn't matter.

Re:

Get them metal masters like Damson to have a try at it.
It's amazingly off by naff all but enough to be visible.

What 231's? CD's I assume? Anything else needed?

Of course if the front and back wheels are pointing along the same line and the rear is straight with the bottom bracket. Then what happens in the front triangle, as long as the head tube is vertical, doesn't matter.

Ben, I'm sure it would ride fine but it's the visible bit that's vexing me.

I'm after a set of NOS 231's, CD's would fit the bill well and a set of riding wheels. I already have the rear sorted and Longun' is helping with the front.

I also need -

XC-Pro Seat post
XC-Pro pedals
Early Pace bar
Front XC-Pro hub x2 and 1 rear
XV-Pro skewers and seat post QR
XC Pro thumbies or Xpress shifters

All NOS (or as close to as possible!)

Re:

Right... it's crunch time (quite literally!)

Frame has gone off for its meeting with its maker... For the record, Gil had a very serious look on his face (and kept saying things like Poor Thing...) whilst surveying the bend. He also spotted a small crack around the BB/seat tube joint... "They all go there" he muttered.

The crack is unfortunate but hopefully can be sorted by Duncan. It's the bend that's worrying me. Three ways of playing it as I see it...

1) Bend can't be removed... Sell the lot on to someone who's going to build it as a rider and not worry too much. I can't live with it as I've said previously - you can't unsee it. Also it would be foolhardy to spend a lot of cash on the build I would ideally like when there is a flaw like this.

2) Despite the risks find someone to unbend it. Possibility that the frame might not survive and it's one less RC100 on the planet. Not great, but I'd then be looking for a suitable frame to hang all the bits on.

3) Build it up as cheaply as possible (with weld issue resolved) and ride it. Don't worry about finding exactly the right bars etc, maybe even sacrifice the need for a one piece stem etc...

What would you guys do?

I'll update when I receive a prognosis from Duncan...

Option 1. I think you initially wanted to build it up to a great period spec, sourcing good parts to go on a fantastic bike. Option 3 goes against your original aspirations of this build. Just my opinion.. anyway good luck whatever you decide.

No wrong answers here guys... keep those opinions coming!

Current thinking is veering towards 3... whilst getting as close to a great build on a sensible budget...

Back